News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A Wushu Guide to Wushu Guides

Started by ReverendBayn, February 14, 2005, 01:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReverendBayn

Note: Though this is meant for people who are planning to publish games under Wushu Open, it is not a game design in and of itself. Therefore, I didn't want to post it in "Indie Publishing." I hope this is a good place for it.

As many of you may know, I recently released the Wushu core rules under a Creative Commons license. The big idea is to encourage others to publish their own Wushu games and supplements, but that just gives you Motive and Opportunity. It occurred to me that I could do a little more to help with the Means. In the course of writing Pulp-Fu and Wire-Fu, I've learned a few things about adapting Wushu to various genres. At least one of those things directly contradicts my system monkey instincts and, I think, those of most role-players...

Lesson #1 - You rarely need new rules.

Wushu's core mechanic can emulate any genre because it allows the GM to reward pretty much any behavior they want, and to veto anything that's not appropriate. Therefore, you'll rarely need to create new mechanics to reinforce genre play. Even a rabid minimalist like me loves creating new mechanics, but make sure you really _need_ them.

Lesson #2 - Provide a comprehensive list of genre Details.

Because Wushu relies so heavily on the players' command of their chosen genre, any Wushu Guide needs to spell out the kinds of Details that are evocative of that genre. That doesn't just mean stunts, it could also include literary flourishes, first person monologues, signature imagery, special effects, and so on. This is _the_ essential feature for any Wushu game.

Lesson #3 - Teach by example (of play).

However, simply cataloging the essential elements of your genre isn't enough. A good Example of Play shows your reader both how to use the Wushu rules and how to recreate the genre through their Descriptions.

Lesson #4 - Don't forget the characters!

Just as with stunts, Wushu gives you the freedom to create nearly any character you want and relies on GMs to make sure the results are appropriate for their game. Again, the best approach is to teach by example, so make sure to include enough Character Templates to cover all your genre's archetypal protagonists. (I usually throw in a little literary deconstruction, too, but that's optional.)

Lessons 2-4 represent a checklist for writing Wushu games. Fill in those three blanks and you're well on your way to a working draft! Just keep Lesson #1 in mind and don't write any new rules you don't really need. Simplicity is a virtue.

I'd like to start filling in the blanks for a few interesting genres right here in the forums (as a resource for enterprising Wushu fans :) but those can go in their own threads.

Thanks for reading,
--Dan
Loath Your Fellow Man
http://www.bayn.org

DevP

As to #1: It was always a fallacy to assume that One True GURPS/CORPS/TriStat would be able to emulate *everything* correctly, and similarly you need to come into a potential Wushu supplement/game thinking if this game will properly make use of what Wushu rewards. "Excessive system monkeying" is one thing, but also I think a prospective player of Wushu needs to take a good look at if their preferred genre will play out as they wish with straight Wushu, and be open to new rules when those are necessary to play out the genre/story type they want.

I think a lot of the stuff I'm seeing coming out in Black Powder Gods is a good example of adapting Wushu to your own sensibilities of genre and style. It's not just about the minimal of "what you need to emulate a genre", but also if there are Wushu extensions which can overcome the cost of new rules, and add a lot more flavor. I'm sure it's there.

Aside from flavor, I think Wushu remixed can do with differing rules to the Social Contract:
Quote from: ReverendBayn...because it allows the GM to reward pretty much any behavior they want, and to veto anything that's not appropriate....
Wushu undoubtedly throws some issues to teh table - GM trust / naked social contract / liberated player control. But, I feel like this by itself (using fiat/trust in the GM) isn't really a feature at all for genre emulation. As such, Wushu is powered up as a game for jamming, but given where the players are already on the same vibe. You suggest some good ideas - using cinematic/literature cues to bring everyone on the front page, use the game material to give clarifying examples of play - but I think there's something else that can be mod'd to Wushu to give another look at safely building the Social Contract behind it.

So, my addendum to your four rules:
(5) Be aware of what Wushu does and doesn't' do.
(5a) Don't be afraid of necessary innovations to make Wushu do what you want.
(5b) Social Contracts are part of the rules, too.
(6) [ repeat of lesson #3 because it's so true ]

And Bravo to Dan for CC'ing the Wushu!!

ReverendBayn

Quote from: DevIt's not just about the minimal of "what you need to emulate a genre", but also if there are Wushu extensions which can overcome the cost of new rules, and add a lot more flavor. I'm sure it's there.

Agreed. It's just that, for me, _not_ wanting to write new rules is so rarely the problem ;)  Wire-Fu, Pulp-Fu, and Black Powder all have an add-on mechanic or two, but there were many times when I got half way through working out a mechanic and realized that the core mechanic could already handle it. (At least, it could if the GM knew to use it that way, which is where Lessons 2 and 3 come in.)

Quote from: DevAside from flavor, I think Wushu remixed can do with differing rules to the Social Contract

See, this is something I've always struggled with. Original Recipe Wushu was missing a lot of fiddly bits that made the game work, precisely because they were elements of the social contract I had created with my players. Articulating my GMing style hasn't been easy, but I think all the critical pieces made their way into the new version.

--Dan
Loath Your Fellow Man

ejh

"riginal Recipe Wushu was missing a lot of fiddly bits that made the game work, precisely because they were elements of the social contract I had created with my players. Articulating my GMing style hasn't been easy, but I think all the critical pieces made their way into the new version. "  

New Version here being Wushu Open?

http://bayn.org/wushu/wushu-open.html

ReverendBayn

Yep, which is also the version in Pulp-Fu and Wire-Fu.  --Dan
Loath Your Fellow Man

DevP

The pre-game discussion about the genre - you suggest referring to specific movies as benchmarks, for example - is a good clarification on the social contract bit. I think some genres and rule modifications will require more focused discussions - for example, I suggested to Karasu that a discussion on Freedom/Law occur pre-game.

When people start remixing Wushu Open into their own products, I'll be curious to see how much their experiences will sync with yours, and especially how often they'll tinker (successfully?) with new rules.