News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

1 pt Inspiration

Started by Grover, February 15, 2005, 10:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grover

TonyLB

You can buy them up by spending an Action.  Until they're more than 1 they're useless.

If players have enough Inspirations that they aren't going to bother spending an action to bump a 1 to a 2 then I wouldn't even bother tracking them.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Stickman

If  a character has a 5 point power / style, can they bump a 5 point inspiration to a 6? It seems from our play that a 6 point inspiration is something very special indeed, and is almost unstoppable in the right places (say, stake, split, roll, then bump to 6)
Dave

TonyLB

Yes they can.  Yes, it's very effective, by design.

I will offer an alternate use, which I think is more powerful even than the "bump to seven or more" use:  a 6-point Inspiration spent on your one die in a Conflict you don't intend to win (i.e. "Meteor destroys the city") is a very good way to draw Story Tokens.  People have to Stake in order to beat it.

Jonas Ferry

Quote from: TonyLBYou can buy them up by spending an Action.  Until they're more than 1 they're useless.
I have lots of questions right now, since I want to be prepared for the first session. I hope it's ok. Do you mean that you can use an Action to increase Inspiration? Do you have a page reference for that rule? I don't remember reading it.
One Can Have Her, film noir roleplaying in black and white.

Check out the indie RPG category at Wikipedia.

TonyLB

No sweat.   I totally sympathize with wanting to have all the answers when you start up the game.  

Inspiration-raising is a small "blink-and-you-miss-it" rule, and doesn't get much play in the Example of Play.  That's because it's for a different mode of scene (i.e. short, low-conflict scenes) than people generally start out playing.  

In the rules-system precis, on page 19, and again on page 38 (where that precis section is repeated) it reads: "The ability either raises an Inspiration by a point or rolls any one die on a Conflict."

tigermuppetcut

I know this is a very old thread but can't you actually boost an inspiration up to a 7, since the power used in the action only needs to be AS HIGH as the inspiration it's raising rather than HIGHER THAN the inspirations initial value?

tigermuppetcut

Mind you that would mean marking the die with a token to show it was a 7 which I guess is against the rules, you must literally have to TURN the die to a higher side, limiting it to a 6.

I think I just answered my own question!

TonyLB

Quote from: tigermuppetcut on August 01, 2009, 10:31:16 AM
I know this is a very old thread but can't you actually boost an inspiration up to a 7, since the power used in the action only needs to be AS HIGH as the inspiration it's raising rather than HIGHER THAN the inspirations initial value?
Well, if your character has a power of level 6 then yes, he can raise a six to a seven.

But if your character has a power of level 6 then you're not playing the game by the rules, so ... yeah.