News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Getting material reviewed/ PR/ Advert

Started by Ampere, February 17, 2005, 11:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ampere

I looked this one up and didn't see anything in current history so...here goes.

Lets say I have a game product (or a few) which are completed and up for sale on my own website in PDF format.

I need to advertise. I need to get the word out there...so what do I do then?

Press Release? Comp copies to people so they submit reviews? Who? What website do I try and get it reviewed on?

Sorry guys, this PR/ Marketing thing is a whole new thing for me.

Jeff Preston
http://willwerks.net/v-web/gallery/albums.php

TonyLB

Post Actual Play threads about playing it, and particularly about the experiences you get from the game that are different from other games.

If the game system is still in flux, take advantage of the clever folks in the Indie Game Design forum here, and get some help as well as telling us many of the basic principles of your system (so we can help you).

Go to conventions and demo, demo, demo, sell, sell, sell.  If you're on the East Coast I recommend DexCon, since we'll be doing the Indie Gaming Explosion #2 there, and that's a good amount of support from real good folk.

Some places will, indeed, review comp copies.  Some places will want the physical book (which, if you're only at the PDF stage, you don't have).

Press releases are fine too.

But, happily, the best possible advertising is word of mouth.  So get people playing your game, and the rest appears to follow.  Slowly, sometimes, but if the game rocks people's world the popularity does seem to follow.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Luke

Quote from: TonyLB
Go to conventions and demo, demo, demo, sell, sell, sell.  If you're on the East Coast I recommend DexCon, since we'll be doing the Indie Gaming Explosion #2 there, and that's a good amount of support from real good folk.

But, happily, the best possible advertising is word of mouth.  So get people playing your game, and the rest appears to follow.  Slowly, sometimes, but if the game rocks people's world the popularity does seem to follow.

What Tony said.

Games are meant to be played.
-L

Ampere

Ok, again, stupid question...
The games are complete. They are available by PDF.

How do I get people to play them? It's not like I can magically flip a switch and get the product to people.

Demo games at a con are a possibility. But what do I do, sign up for a table and hope people show to play?

Seriously guys. It's not as simple as "have people play".

This is a basic marketing/ PR question on how to get people TO the point where they can play.

Luke

1: Contact the con organizers via their website.

2: Tell confolk that you are a game designer. Your game is the best game evar. (If it's not, what are you doing here?)

3: Ask con if you can have "demo space" or if they'd prefer you put your game in the regular schedule.

4: If they give you demo space, sign up for regularly scheduled games, too. Split your time between the two.

5: If they don't have demo space, run consecutive games -- friday 8-12, saturday 10 am to 12 pm. Let everyone know in no uncertain terms that you are to bust your ass so they can have fun. Pay admission if you have to. Make sure your name and game is in the schedule for the con.

6: Be friendly and receptive with the con organizers, but be firm. You are the lifeblood of the con and gaming industry.

7: Show up on time. Be clean. Be organized. Have everything rehearsed and ready to go. Yes, rehearsed. You are a rock star, this is your rock concert. Now go. (Not the best analogy for roleplaying, but demoing at a con is a performance. Never doubt this.)

8: Run your events on schedule. As people are leaving, ask them if they could mention to the con organizers what a good time they had. One good word and you'll have a free table and demo space next time.

9: Clean up your space and talk to your players afterwards. Chat them up, solicit subtle feedback.

10: Ask players if they post on rpg.net or the Forge. If so, ask them to say a few kind words about you. Don't be shy. You're a struggling artist, you're allowed to ask these things.

11: Rinse and repeat 6-12 times a year.

12: Be sure to have an identifiable logo, name and web presence. Be easy to find and contact. Postcards, stickers, pins, etc. help with this. Be polite and cordial on the web.

That's basically what I did. Seemed to work for me, but your mileage may vary.
-Luke

Michael S. Miller

Hi, Jeff.

Do what Luke (abzu) said. (That's a rule to live by.)

Read the thread Promotion, Promotion, Promotion. Take the advice there to heart, especially what Ron says on page 2.

Put a link to your site in your .sig here and anywhere else you post. Look at my .sig, Luke's .sig, and virtualy everyone else on the Promotions thread for examples.

Make sure your game is in the Forge Resource Library.
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

Ampere

Perfect!
Got it now.

Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks guys!

Bardsandsages

You definately need to get to a couple of Cons, but you obviously can't get to them all.  Something that is working for me to generate publicity is offering stuff for the prize closets.  I contacted various small cons throughout the U.S. and offered a few prize items (I have a cafepress store).  I've gotten three takers so far, all happy to get free stuff for their prize closets in exchange for promotion.  One of the cons even offered me a free full page ad in their program.  Another offered to put flyers in all the goody bags.  So let's say I donate $30 per convention, and the average convention pulls in 1000 people.  I'm reaching a highly targeted audience for about .03 cents per person.  

Something else I'm doing is working on a series of short stories for my campaign setting.  Two will be published in the next two months in RPG ezines, complete with a little promo about the game.  If you are a skilled writer, you can build a buzz by doing so.  People read the stories, they want to learn more about the setting, so they visit your site.
http://www.bardsandsages.com

Home of Neiyar: Land of Heaven and the Abyss, RPG and writer resources, fiction, contests, merchandise, and more.