News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Episode prep

Started by Chris Goodwin, December 21, 2004, 01:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Goodwin

It has been mentioned that adventure prep is quick and easy.  

No one has yet mentioned this, but you can get dozens of episodes pre-prepared for you every week at your local newsstand or grocery store line, in each week's issue of TV Guide.  A TV Guide blurb is enough to run an episode with, just change the names.  (Oh, and you probably want to make sure your show is of similar genre to the one you pull -- a supernatural adventure show probably can't do much with "Hawkeye faces an existential crisis after losing a patient he thought was going to make it".)
Chris Goodwin
cgoodwin@gmail.com

Mike Holmes

Quote from: Chris Goodwin(Oh, and you probably want to make sure your show is of similar genre to the one you pull -- a supernatural adventure show probably can't do much with "Hawkeye faces an existential crisis after losing a patient he thought was going to make it".)
Heh, funny, but when I read "Hawkeye" I immediately thought of the Marvel super character. Change "patient.." to "child he was trying to save" and it works just perfectly.

That is, I think that genre isn't really all that salient. The issues are pretty universal if that's all you're looking for. In fact, I'd bet that you'd get better milage by looking at the wrong genre and converting.

So, good idea with the listings. I think that's probably a font of useful stuff for every game.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Charles Warren

Aside from getting the main idea of the episode, is there anything else you guys do to prep for the game?

My first game session is coming up this week and I'm a bit nervous.  This will be my first time running Primetime Adventures.  Before this, its been traditional rpgs, in that as the GM, I plan out everything.  With the players calling for scenes, I guess I'm a bit intimidated by the unpredictability.  Still excited and thrilled about it, yet a bit nervous too.

When prepping episodes, how much do you guys come up with before hand?  What do you make sure you have?  What do you not worry about?  Is it pretty much on the fly?  Or do you have scenes in mind?

Georgios Panagiotidis

It helps to have a good grasp of the tone of your show. Try to come up with a few sample scenes that define the style and tone for your show, or try to find scenes from other shows or movies that the show might draw inspiration from.

This way you have a guideline when trying to come up with scenes for your own show.
Five tons of flax!
I started a theory blog in German. Whatever will I think of next?

Matt Wilson

QuoteAside from getting the main idea of the episode, is there anything else you guys do to prep for the game?

Hey Charles:

Mostly prep for me involves really developed and complex supporting characters, and understanding what the protag issues are all about.

You as producer are actually limited by the strengths of the issues. Make sure you get some info from the other players on the stuff behind the stuff, so to speak. Then you have the supporting characters ready to take direct action that chafes at those issues.

If you have some details to share, I can give you some examples of how I might prep.

Charles Warren

Quote from: Matt WilsonThen you have the supporting characters ready to take direct action that chafes at those issues.

This helps a lot.  Thanks!

Frank T

To add to what Matt already said: You should be as familiar as possible with the Protagonists, their Edges and Connections, their Nemesis, their personal situation and, of course, their Issues. If there are Next Week Ons, you should be aware of those, too. As for the rest - you can keep an open dialogue with the players on that.

If your're nervous, it might also help to think about a good first Scene. As Producer, you are the first to frame, so you can use the time to make up a real cool entry.