News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Premise for WoS-style Char-Un game?

Started by Mandacaru, March 18, 2005, 03:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandacaru

Well I at least am learning a lot, thanks guys. Keeping the conflicts as abstract virtual flow diagrams helps and I am definitely working out the particular reasons why it makes little sense to have prewritten scenarios or premises. The blunderbuss allusion - clan is in danger always works - is great. Even though I've been trying to work out premises based on something other than the destiny of the clan, it ends up back there. It is starting to become, in my mind, equivalent to "you are a party of adventurers / why? / because you are".

I shall think some more on this...

Sam.

Bankuei

Hi Sam,

It might be good to go watch a movie like "House of Flying Daggers" or "Hero" as a couple of good examples of setting up conflict.  In both of those movies, the real plot and story stuff comes from the personal relationships of the primary characters- the issue of the clan or nation is just an "external pressure"... it's stakes to push everyone harder and apply pressure to those relationships.

Unless you predefine character relationships and what "ought to" matter to them(see Ron Edward's In Utero for example), you pretty much have to take the shotgun approach.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with :)

Chris