News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Dogana and Ravanna

Started by Matt-M-McElroy, February 24, 2005, 11:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt-M-McElroy

I'm thinking about starting out my game on the island of Dogana, and specifically in the city of Ravanna...

So, anyone want to help me brainstorm some setting info for this location?

I need a few interesting locations (an Inn, maybe a town hall or library) and some NPCs (some merchants, some local militia or other "law" and maybe a Witchblood or two)...

I'm thinking of using the bit of Occult Lore realted to the lost city and the ghosts within. Any ideas what sorts of gossip and legend the residents of Ravanna might spread about while working and/or drinking at the inn?

Thanks,

Matt M McElroy
'What Are You Afraid Of?"
http://www.flamesrising.com
"What Are You Afraid Of?"
www.flamesrising.com

Keith Senkowski

I don't feel like working right now so I'll shoot out some ideas...

Cities in the Holly Union of Voria are pretty big (size-wise) and old.  Lots of ancient stone structures and shit.  Temples from a lost age converted into things like churches, libraries and government buildings.  Think Rome but smaller.  Also lots of people living on top of each other.

Shit is organized too.  Think Byzantine institutions:  
Formal military, not feudal.
Formal government institutions.
Strong church control and precense in everything.  It is a part of the Holy Union and the Church pretty much runs that so...

Oh and Dogana/Ravanna would likely have a mixed population I would think.  It is damn close to the Noderin homelands and on the route to Omeron.  I'm guessing there would be Omerons, Isoli and Navari round there.  

So if you want rumors and shit, maybe old ruins of towns/villages/forts that fell to them at one point or another?  Maybe about a vengeful spirit killing Noderins?  Shit, turn the place into Innsmouth.  That would be pretty fucking cool.  Stat out a Deep One type baddy and his spawn which infect folks like the larva thing in Star Trek II (Wrath of Khan) and turn them into pod people or some shit.  Fuck Matt, I want in on this game.

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

Matt-M-McElroy

I've got several ideas brewing...

Ravanna will be the main "city" in the storyline, especially being a port...all kinds of sailors, traders, merchants and criminals in the area...ripe for several subplots and nastiness to involve the PCs in.

I love the idea of ancient ruins in the woods with nasty spirits/ghosts haunting them. I can even toss in a rumor about an ancient treasure or lost lore to entice anyone brave (foolish?) enough to go after it.

I like the idea of a couple of local officials or whatever as either being possessed by the spirits or a secret cult that serves them...hell maybe both. This would be very deep, of course, as they don't want to get hunted by the military and all that...but hey, what harm could a cell do, hmm?
www.flamesrising.com

Keith Senkowski

Matt, H

as the group created their Cell yet?  Do you have an idea where they want to head?  That's the key, having an idea where they want to go, cause you may have one idea, but their Drives might drag your ass somewhere else.  Drive functions not only a mechanical purpose in CoS, but also the meta function of, "Hey fucko, we want to hunt demons, not sale the high seas!"

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

Matt-M-McElroy

Quote from: Bob GoatMatt, H

as the group created their Cell yet?  Do you have an idea where they want to head?  That's the key, having an idea where they want to go, cause you may have one idea, but their Drives might drag your ass somewhere else.  Drive functions not only a mechanical purpose in CoS, but also the meta function of, "Hey fucko, we want to hunt demons, not sale the high seas!"

Keith

Defintely a good point...characters have not been created yet. So, I'll have to see what happens there...

But, this could develop this as a setting/scenario for anyone that wants to use Ravanna as a location in their game. Some local information, NPCs and several conspiracy ideas for the island (and city) could come in handy.

Hmm, maybe a future issue of EtS?

Hell I've got a new fiction idea out of it already...hehe...

Regards,

Matt M McElroy
http://www.flamesrising.com
www.flamesrising.com