News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

RSS feed?

Started by matthijs, February 27, 2005, 08:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matthijs

Does the Forge have an RSS feed?

Clinton R. Nixon

Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

matthijs

Okay, that was a short and to-the-point answer to a short question :) Why not, though? For people like me who subscribe to way too many fora, it could be very practical.

DevP

I especially think, what-with the tagging we're evolving, that RSS feeds are really easy and implementable.

DevP

I thought about it, and I'm sure I could make a sort of custom RSS feed (via some screen-scraping and similar hacks).

Is there a reason I should not do this, or some way this violates the spirit or social contract of the Forge?

Paul Czege

One of the characteristics of The Forge is that posts happen within the context of conversations. Bringing them out of the conversational context, as discrete objects, seems counter productive.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

DevP

Quote from: Paul CzegeOne of the characteristics of The Forge is that posts happen within the context of conversations. Bringing them out of the conversational context, as discrete objects, seems counter productive.
That makes sense; it's a good reason to not transmit every new post via RSS. (It still might be a good idea arguably, but I'll put that thought aside.)

Let me propose something different: what about an RSS feed that merely transmitted the titles and links to the newest posts at the Forge? "Newest" could be defined as "was not on the first page of posts in its forum within 24 hours", so encompassing both brand-new posts and posts that are only *slightly* old but have sparked up again in activity. This feed would link only to the thread, and not to specific posts (in order to keep it in context).

How about this, then?

DevP

Paul,

By "conversational context", do you mean the posts within a thread? Or that multiple new threads also have a context of each other?