News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

prep questions

Started by Matt Wilson, February 24, 2005, 09:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Wilson

So the game is tonight, and despite the fact that two players haven't given me much info about their characters, I'm prepping away.

And that means I probably need to learn these rules. They've changed a bit since ClintonCon.

So here's some questions:

1) As the Guide, am I "he who decides what abilities should be used at any time?" That is, if Rob says "can I use my etiquette ability in this duel," it's totally up to me to say hell-yes or hell-no?

2) In this example of BDTP with this dude named Matt, he's using this ability called "Sense Danger." Is that an older name for "Reaction," or is it supposed to be a player-invented ability?

3) My interpretation of Key Scenes is that you're rewarding the players for foisting things upon them. So they get XP if they seek out stuff related to their keys, and they get XP if you push stuff on them, and everybody wins. Sound right?

Roger Eberhart

I'll take a shot at your first question. Both participants in BDTP can have totally different intentions. If the players skill matches his intentions, then that should be fine. If it differs, then make him defend for a round, as per the rules on changing intentions. "This is a duel, you can only use fighting skills", does not gibe with how TSOY should be run IMO. The player can instead play to his strengths. "I'm going to talk him into putting down the sword with my incredible etiquette skills" would be a perfectly reasonable approach in this sytem.

Andy Kitkowski

Quote from: Roger EberhartThe player can instead play to his strengths. "I'm going to talk him into putting down the sword with my incredible etiquette skills" would be a perfectly reasonable approach in this sytem.

I totally agree, but I also think that penalties could be added in hard or ridiculous situations.

Etiquette against swords for a one-on-one duel? Totally.
Etiquette for a duel against someone who doesn't speak your language, or is a hated enemy (childhood rivals), maybe one penalty die.
Etiquette for a hundred man fierce screaming bloody rumble ala Braveheart?  Maybe put in 2 penalty dice for that one.
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.