News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[TSoY] Culture/Species Crunch: Exclusive?

Started by James_Nostack, February 26, 2005, 01:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James_Nostack

Can people who aren't from a particular culture or species take the crunchy bits from those groups if it fits the character concept?

Like, in the World of Near, Boating is listed as a Zaru cultural skill.  Could someone who's never been to the Zaru delta take Boating?

Likewise: the Secret of Addiction is a Goblin species secret.  Could an Elf addicted to mead take that Secret?

Naturally certain species Innate Abilities, like an Elf's Past Lives skill,  wouldn't generalize, but I'm wondering how exclusive other cultural skills/secrets/keys are meant to be.

(I'm asking because I'm adapting Monte Cook's Land of the Diamond Throne to the Solar system just for the hell of it, and I want to make sure I understand how the system was meant to be used.)
--Stack

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: James_NostackCan people who aren't from a particular culture or species take the crunchy bits from those groups if it fits the character concept?

Species abilities and secrets are exclusive.

Cultural abilities and secrets are non-exclusive. Anyone can learn them if taught by someone who knows them, or if they observe their use.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games