News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Preparing for TSOY

Started by Matt Wilson, February 16, 2005, 09:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Wilson

Quote from: Clinton R. Nixon

Man, that is awesome.

Hey - I notice you mentioned some serious BDTP, where the characters lost. How'd that go? I'm collecting data, as I've had some complaints about the BDTP system.

It was really a matter of the dice kicking ass for me and not for him, I think. The players spread their advances out pretty liberally, so his relevant whuppin' abilities were in the 3 range. He should still have been able to kick butt by spending the occasionaly vigor, but I kept rolling 11s like my craps table was rigged.

I also messed up by subtracting one guy's success level from the other, and that would have given him some better results when he did roll well.

The only observation I have about BDTP at the moment is that unless you're up against a named dude, you'll be calling for it most often for things where your char isn't very good, which is probably why you failed your roll in the first place. It means that you're likely to go from a one-roll encounter to a ten- or twelve-roll encounter, since you need to deliver about 8 points of 'damage' before there's any risk of the dude missing a stay-up check. For unskilled characters, that takes a while. Say every other roll I get SL 2, that's 8 rolls before maybe you miss a SU check.

And the only 'problem' I can see is that the group might not have set cool stakes beforehand, assuming it'd be over all quick like. So you're spending a lot of time on something kind of mundane. But that's just a matter of making every roll meaningful to begin with. TSOY is not the game for "and now some more goblins attack!"

Andy Kitkowski

Quote from: Matt WilsonAnd the only 'problem' I can see is that the group might not have set cool stakes beforehand, assuming it'd be over all quick like. So you're spending a lot of time on something kind of mundane. But that's just a matter of making every roll meaningful to begin with. TSOY is not the game for "and now some more goblins attack!"

Interesting.

I'll be running our first real session this week, and I'm interested in hearing more on this as your play continues.

Yeah, sounds like in TSOY you really have to calm down on the "Ok, so you want to jump from one windowsill to the other- Gimme a jump roll" and make rolls only when they're more dramatic or mean more to the character...
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.