News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The GAMA Trade Show from a Freelancer's Perspective

Started by GregS, February 14, 2005, 06:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregS

With GTS just around the corner I've been heavily weighing the idea of going as a Freelancer (as both a mechanics content and fiction writer).  The problem is I'm totally unsure of how beneficial it will likely be.  

On the one hand it seems like the perfect opportunity to dazzle prospects with my alleged wit and charm and try and get some "ins" with hiring companies.  On the other, though, I'm aware of the fact that GTS is more about manufacturers selling their games than hiring contractors.  

Anyone have any thoughts or experience on the subject?
Game Monkey Press
http://www.gmpress.com

"When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy." -Dave Barry

philreed

Quote from: GregSAnyone have any thoughts or experience on the subject?

Try and schedule some meetings for the show and it could prove useful. Publishers (to me) seem a bit more relaxed and open to discussing business at GTS.
------------------------
www.roninarts.com

Paul Czege

Greg,

I've not been to GTS, but Phil's advice is standard operating procedure for a professional attending non-RPG business conventions. Make your contacts via phone and email in advance of the show. Represent yourself and your credentials professionally, and arrange meetings. Put your greatest energy into folks who readily arrange to spend the time, and carry considerably less enthusiasm for folks who suggest that you just stop by their booth.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

balrog21

gama is setting up a special meeting time just for freelancers to talk with the publishing companies each day of the show. i would think it is a very good idea for you to attend!

GregS

Game Monkey Press
http://www.gmpress.com

"When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy." -Dave Barry