News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Conflict vs Task Resolution to facilitate Narrativism

Started by Daredevil, March 05, 2005, 12:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldis

Quote from: John KimEero, as I see it, the problem is that you've introduced yet another set of definitions into an increasingly crowded field.  Also, I'm not sure how I should take your arguments, since I can't tell what you're arguing for.  As far as I can see, you've punted on the conclusion which most people are arguing.  You state that the choice for Narrativist games -- i.e. between (1) resolving-conflict-through-task and (2) resolving-conflict-through-conflict -- is a complex question that you don't address.

I'd suggest you reread his posting then John because you missed his point and he does clearly answer this with examples of different ways actual games handle the distinction.  He does in fact agree with you that you can use task resolution to resolve conflicts but one has to be actively trying to resolve the conflicts when faced with tasks that come up in the game.  In which case you have a conflict resolution system.

If you allow task resolution to take precedence as in Ralph's examples they can wipe out the address of premise.  There are ways to avoid this if you are looking to the bigger conflict, John pointed out the Theatrix method, skip the die roll if it can harm the story. Conflict resolution based on gm discretion.

If you focus only on resolving the tasks and allow that to dictate the direction of the game then you will be very unlikely to ever address premise.  If you set up situations to address premise and let task resolution blow the setup apart hoping to rebuild and find a new premise to address, at a certain point your focus becomes exploration of system and not address of premise.  The task resolution system is running the game not the people making choices on human issues.

Ron Edwards

That does it. I am absolutely disgusted by the incredible lack of consideration and the post-stuffing going on here.

It has nothing to do with disagreements and who's right or wrong. It has everything to do with showing another person that you have read and understood what he has posted. That's fundamental to this forum. It's explicit in the sticky.

There is no merit to trying to win arguments in this forum. It's not a place for that.

At the very least, threads like this one keep me from answering honest and interesting inquires like poor Dan's, who's been patiently waiting for weeks.

This thread is closed.

paulkdad

[EDIT] Sorry, Ron, I cross-posted with you here.
Paul K.