News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Nine Worlds] Challenging a Primarch

Started by jrs, March 14, 2005, 11:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrs

Hi Matt,

We have another question for you, and Ron neglected to bring the Nine Worlds Help Desk number with him to the gaming session.  

When an Archon challenges a Primarch is it true that to become a Champion requires the use of arete and to usurp the Primarch requires the use of hubris?  Both Ron and I seem to recall that this is the way it is supposed to work, but we could not find it stated in the rules.  The two examples describe the virtue usage this way, but it is unclear if it is mandated.

This coming from the player whose character rashly took a muse to usurp Ares and at the same time has her arete locked at 9.

Julie

Ron Edwards

Hello,

Fans of the game kill puppies for satan will recall that one can spend Evil and call Satan on the telephone. I was accused of being "out of Evil," which then prompted the cry to hide the cats ...

Anyway, yes, Julie has raised one of our very few remaining System questions.

Another concerns the issue of capping Virtues at 9 - how does this relate to the humongous scores of Primarchs? Eero asked about this earlier.

Can Archons exceed 9 through spending Valor?

Best,
Ron

Matt Snyder

Yes, they can. There is no limitation on Vitues, nor on Urges. The only limited resource is Muse ratings.

(Edited to add: We also discussed limiting ... what was it? Talismans ratings at 9? But this isn't discussed in the text either way.)
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Ron Edwards

H'm, in that case, it seems wrong to limit Talismans' Power to 9.

Speaking of usurping, I seem to have usurped the thread. What about Julie's question, Matt? (If you're not already engaged in composing the answer, that is.)

Best,
Ron

jrs

Jeez.  Yeah, Ron, get your own thread.

Matt, can you go back, ignore Ron's posts for now and check out mine at the top.

Thanks,
Julie

Matt Snyder

Yes, sorry Julie! You are required to use the relevant Virtues.

To become a champion, you must use Arete.

To overthrow the Primarch and take control of the world, you must use Hubris.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra