News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Tokyo Heroes] Dice mechanic for Sentai

Started by neko ewen, March 18, 2005, 01:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neko ewen

I've started in on a new project I've been thinking about for a few months now, an RPG called Tokyo Heroes about sentai (the genre that Power Rangers is an americanized version of) and fighting magical girls (a la Sailor Moon and Tokyo Mew Mew). In order to keep with the target genre, I'm trying to make a game where teamwork is absolutely essential, and combat is about pushing the advantage to the point where it becomes possible to deliver a finishing blow. Attributes will be pools a la The Shadow of Yesterday, representing different sources of strength that a character can draw on, and they'd add bonuses to rolls made using skills. (Though circumstances could make spending pool points less effective -- like trying to fight while not transformed).

So where I'm getting a bit lost right now is on the dice mechanics. Teaming up to do an action needs to be a very basic, seamless part of the system, and it should be reasonably fast in play. I have a couple ideas I'm toying with, but I'd definitely appreciate any advice. ^_^
    [*]Take a cue from Silhouette and have a d6 dice pool system, but only take the highest die (or maybe the two highest dice), and then to that add +1 for every additional six rolled.
    [*]Have trait levels measured in die types like in Savage Worlds and Ironclaw (thus having each player contribute one die to a team's pool rather than several).
    [*]A more generic die pool with successes.[/list:u]