News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A few new Secrets available...

Started by Andy Kitkowski, March 24, 2005, 11:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Kitkowski

Over at the WIKI:
http://random.average-bear.com/TSOY/OpenSecrets

I'm trying to think of a name other than "Secret of Expansive Military Training" for the combat-related one (I'm satisfied with the other names).

Can anyone think of any?

Thanks!
-Andy
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Andy Kitkowski

Followup: I think I need to put a clarification statement in there at the end:
"Damage cannot be reduced below 1".

But when I was writing that, I had second thoughts.  How about "Damage cannot be reduced below 0"?  That makes for a more cinematic game, but potentially longer BDTP.

Only playtesting would tell.

-Andy
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Clay

Andy,

Mathematics would suggest that you don't need that caveat.  If you're subtracting the lesser from the greater, you'll always get at least 1.  If you're subtracting equals, you'll get 0, which is what you would expect when two scores are tied.
Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management

Andy Kitkowski

Quote from: ClayAndy,

Mathematics would suggest that you don't need that caveat.  If you're subtracting the lesser from the greater, you'll always get at least 1.  If you're subtracting equals, you'll get 0, which is what you would expect when two scores are tied.

Hey man, I was thinking more for the instance where a high-level character takes one of these secrets more than once.  Example, if I take Secret of Majesty 3 times (Take difference, -1, -1), and get in a social conflict with someone:

Them: SL 5
Me: SL 3

Normal Outcome: I take 5 damage
Outcome with Majesty: I take 2 damage
Outcome with Majesty thrice: I take 0 damage

Then I have the opportunity to reduce the "Social Damage" to zero...

Clay

Since the secret didn't specifically mention the ability to stack the secret I worked on the assumption that there wouldn't be any problem with that.  I would in fact be disinclined to allow stacking of this function.  Any player who tried it would certainly be in for a rude shock when their opponent wound up with it as well.
Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management