News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Raleigh NC, April 23: Small Press Discussion Lunch!

Started by Andy Kitkowski, April 18, 2005, 02:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Kitkowski

Here's the event:
http://ncgameday.dhorizon.org/index.php

It's NC Gameday.  It's at NC State university in Raleigh (and very easy to find- this coming from a guy who hates navigating local Uni campuses), the event is TOTALLY FREE for the whole day.  No registration- You just show up when you want, and play what you want to. If nothing else is going on, there's a huge library of board games to borrow from, and plenty of people around to play.  I like these events, as they're open and relaxed, and again free.  The hosting org makes money off of candy, soda and pizzas.

There will be some Forgeites there, including jasonm (who will be running Dogs in the Vineyard), and Jeph MAY make it for a couple hours in the AM, but considering the next day is Passover, he might not.

However, I am organizing a Small Press Designer Lunch workshop.  It will be in the games room, at some table that isn't being used.  It will start at approx 1PM and last until 3PM, after which some of us will be playing Dogs in the Vineyard.

Basically, we will (somehow) get some food at 12:30-1:00), bring it to some table in the gaming area, and talk about Small Press Publishing.

Workshop discussion:
1) Publishing: PDF vs Print
2) Venues/organizations with which to publish
3) Stuff you're working on

Sound legit enough?  I'd make it a Forge Dinner, unfortunately there's the Passover thing, plus I've got some plans that evening.  For the next Game Day in September, though, I'm planning on going nuts on creating Indie Game events and the like.

If you think you can attend this workshop, please reply to this thread. Sorry about the late notice.

|EDIT| As of right now, I'm the only one who's definitely in.  if you're planning on going, please reply to the thread.  If I don't get about 3 confirmations by Friday, we'll still probably do a lunch, but it will be a more freeform "every man for themself" thing in regards to lunch.  So don't expect to easily find us unless you post here. Thx!

-Andy
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Luke

why do you not give advanced warning?

::sigh::

-L

Andy Kitkowski

Quote from: abzuwhy do you not give advanced warning?

Yeah dude, this is strictly a "folks in the area" gig.  Seriously, if you came down just for an NC Gameday, I'd have to beat you just on principle. It's the equivalent of watching old folks play chess at the community center, but with RPGs and Board Games instead of chess.  

Next year, the NC Gameday folks are gearing up to build a con (they split away from the local Trinoc-Con on creative differences), perhaps the biggest gaming con in the state... and when that comes to pass, fuck yeah, I'll see what I can do to make it the Other Indie Con.  Or at least make it worth your (or anyone's) while to stop by.

But yeah, the NC Gameday events... I wouldn't suggest that someone come in more than 2 hours to see it.  4 if they REALLY want to game.
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Andy Kitkowski

Hey all, no replies sofar, so I'll consider this event:

CANCELERATED!

No big, again because I wasn't doing a huge recruitment, not enough advance planning, etc.

This weekend things are pretty busy for me, so where normally I'd just show up and stay all day anyway, this weekend I'll personally be cutting in about an hour early to say hi and play a BG or two, hit that Dogs in the Vineyard session that's going down, and then head back home right after that.  Translation work awaits, and I'm a little behind.

-Andy

If you happen to go to the event and are reading this, stop by and say Hi anyway.

Jeph

Dammit, I need to check this forum more often. I was indeed there in the AM, and the D&D game I played in was also attended by another Forge poster (Aman the Rejected on ENWorld, not sure if he's got the same handle here).

Oh well. Next time...
Jeffrey S. Schecter: Pagoda / Other

Andy Kitkowski

Ah, poo.

Oh well, now I know for next time.

And a thought, at that: User "Valandil" on RPGNet created a "RPG Member globe location" thingy- Send him your user info, he plugs you into this DB, and you get to see where other RPGNetters are.

I'm thinking that I'd like to see the same kind of thing for the Forge, which includes the following:

1) Forge browser says, "Man, I want to try some of these cool games, and in fact I own a couple, but the group I game with (my buddies) just wants to play X all the time. I'd like to have the opportunity to get invited to special demos, events, talks in the area.

2) They sign up, somehow.  Somewhere.  Their info gets put on a little map or something.

3) When one of us decides to run something at NC Gameday, or at Andy's Place, or at whatever at whenever (Caribou Coffee on June 12th, etc), we can open up this map, and see the userids of folks in the area that might be up for something.  I can then PM them to see if they'd be interested.

Maybe I'll open a new topic for this.

-Andy