News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

What do you do besides role-playing?

Started by Clinton R. Nixon, April 04, 2005, 10:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethan_greer

Hobbies: Roleplaying, designing games by accident, Warhammer 40k, playing guitar, writing, creating content for my website, playing classic arcade games, abstract painting, listening to music, computer programming.

Passions: Writing. Music.

Meguey

Goodness, Clinton, you want to know *all* my hobbies and passions?? I'd be writing all night. Ok, short list:

I help run an awesome mothering/parenting thing called MotherWoman, found at //www.motherwoman.org.

I help make awesome tie-dye stuff for all ages with WildChild Tie-dye, found at //www.wildchildtiedyes.com.

I spend lots of time making little photoshop/pixel doodles, found at http://home.earthlink.net/~lumpley/megweb/index.html.

I do all sorts of elaborate hair design for stage with these folks http://www.hampshireshakespeare.org/.

I'm pretty involved with our local UU church, http://www.uugreenfield.org/, where, among other things, I teach an awesome sex-ed curricula for teens called Our Whole Lives. More on OWL:http://www.uua.org/owl/what.html.

I'm totally in love with my Inkle loom (http://www.inkleweaving.com/) that Emily Care got me for Solstice last year.

Like Em, I  love fire circles and dancing, especially American Tribal Belly dance http://www.bdancer.com/med-guide/culture/tribalbd.html.

I volunteer at the Amherst Survival Center http://www.people.umass.edu/support/asc/.

I'm on the PTO at my son's school, where I just finished a HUGE read-a-thon with Usborne Books. I'm a consultant with Usborne //www.ubah.com

I love taking pictures (what, no link??!) and making scrapbooks.

I love playing in dirt, especially with Emily Care.

I do web-design for MotherWoman and for the Amherst Family Center.

I love quilting and embroiderie and anything related to fiber arts. I don't knit by force of will, and I haven't learned to tat, but other than that, if it has fiber in it, I do/have done it.

I read a ton, and watch movies sometimes, and sing a bunch, and listen to music sometimes, and hike sometimes, and I'm on-line a LOT.

With Vincent, I raise two sons who are turning out to be as voracious readers as we are. In the above read-a-thon, the goal for the kids was 300 minutes over 14 days. Sebastian (8 yrs.) read 1500 minutes. That he told me about or I thought to write down.

Leningrad

I'm a photographer.  I've shot for http://www.indieclick.com and http://www.suicidegirls.com(<-- NOT WORK SAFE.)  I'm currently not doing anything special, but I'm going to be shooting for a Vancouver news magazine, http://www.terminalcity.ca pretty quick.

So, aside from being a geek, that's my shtick.  

I also obsess over hipster subculture and collect vast amounts of music.[/url]

Danny_K

Wow, staff photographer for Suicide Girls?  Damn. That just cries to be made into a game setting.  

I'm a mental health worker, which gives me lots of inspiration for games.  

I used to write science fiction, but these days real science is a lot more interesting to me, and I'm trying to make the transition to be a nonfiction science writer.  

I listen to a lot of music, and am starting to learn to play the piano.  Musical references also tend to infest the games I run.

I like to spend time outdoors to counteract my geeky tendencies: I ski, go camping, and work in my garden, especially growing herbs and heirloom plants.  (looking for seeds? //www.cooksgarden.com rocks.)

I also spend a lot of time chauffeuring my 8 year old son around.
I believe in peace and science.

ScottM

Hobbies: Board Games (European style-- Settlers, Carassone, Through the Desert, etc.), Reading (though much less than before), TV (curses Tivo, much more than before). Getting into biking again, after sitting out last season. Cooking, trying to find interesting dishes (waning).

Passions: I'm pretty mellow, though adding a girlfriend to the mix has focussed me quite a bit.  As soon as I post I'll think of more...

Scott
Hey, I'm Scott Martin. I sometimes scribble over on my blog, llamafodder. Some good threads are here: RPG styles.

Leningrad

Quote from: Danny_KWow, staff photographer for Suicide Girls?  Damn. That just cries to be made into a game setting.  

Elements of my life would make for a very interesting character background.  Particularly for Unknown Armies.

*laugh*

zephyr.cirrus

I'm an actor, so I act.  I'm currently in a musical for school (I have my first lead role)

Bill Cook

I sell home security systems. Mostly off telemarketing leads. I'm getting some songs ready to sing and play on guitar at a campfire at my sister's wedding in California in June. I've had some trouble with my hips and lower back, so I'm doing a little Yoga these days. And trying to cook more, rather than eat out.

I also do some contract programming for an accounting software package called Solomon, though there hasn't been a lot of that lately. When I'm in Grapevine, I like to stop by my dad's and check his latest DVD. He was gifted the biggest plasma screen television I have ever seen (and I've been in many, many TV rooms) for moving a Lear.

Besides my regular group, I'm in two roleplayer meetup groups, one of which I organize. I accrete a measure of design to a current project on a monthly basis. Just trying to feel like living and keeping up with expenses is a lot to manage at present. That and I'm having trouble getting to bed at a decent hour. Nervous apprehension? On the plus side, I've got the sugar beat for five days running now. Wish me luck!

John Harper

I actually have a job that is a passion, namely graphic design. I also get to work with some of my best friends on Earth. Whom I also get to practice Aikido with.

I get to teach Aikido three times a week. My training partners are some of my best friends. Whom I also get to work with.

I'm in love with a beautiful woman, and I get to spend lots of time with her.

I play video games until the wee hours of the morning (lately: City of Heroes). Loving your job means not needing a lot of sleep. I kick unholy ass at Dead Or Alive and Call of Duty.

I am passionate about film and television. Don't get me started. I get to watch lots and lots of both thanks to TiVo, Netflix, and four independent movie houses within walking distance of my apartment.

I sometimes have the crazy idea that I design games. Let's call this one a passion. Hobbies are something you do regularly. Still, a game I haven't finished writing yet has its own fan base.

I am a lucky, lucky man.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

nellist

I consider my interest in the setting of Glorantha to be external to gaming to some extent, so include that.

If I had the time (and no job in the morning) I would love to go out dancing on the Northern Soul scene. Gee, I'm so retro. I also like 70's funk and dream about writing a blaxploitation theatre style freeform.

If I could spend an hour or two uninterrupted I would do more (more than none) oil painting.  I'd like to be able to paint like Frazetta, Picasso, or Ray Troll, or draw like Robert Crumb. Not much to ask.

I'm spending a lot of time playing "soccer" - game at weekends, training in the week, taking my 2 boys, who also have matches at the weekend, to their games. Doing stuff with my 7 and 5 year old sons. Now I live in Australia I guess this includes going to the beach.

I don't read much but have a few favourite authors that I re-read if I have a job involving a public transport commute - Clark Ashton Smith, RE Howard, Sprague De Camp, Dunsany, Eddison.

If I wasn't happily married I'd spend my time and money on booze, women, gaming and fritter the rest away.

Keith

Victor Gijsbers

I have job in philosphy as an 'AiO', the Dutch equivalent of a PhD-student, only you get paid for it. I'll also count reading philosophy among my hobbies, with interests ranging as widely as analytic philosophy of science, Nietzsche, structuralism and post-structuralism, ethics, Kierkegaard - and recently spilling over into things like narratology and semiotics. This also connects with my interest in RPG theory, or maybe they feed off each other.

I also like reading fiction, though the rest of my reading leaves little time for this. Dostojevski, Kafka, Nabokov, Henry James, Jane Austen - the classics, mostly. (I'm planning on reading Ulysses next, but that might be a too ambitious goal.)

Then, there are such things as hanging out with my friends, cooking (I cook some mean vegetarian food!), and I should especially emphasise writing: philosophical essays, personal reflections, Wikipedia-entries, and many other things.

Scripty

Hmmm.... I commute. I've been helping to finish a basement lately. Reading, mostly non-fiction, though I do venture into fiction now and again. Doing some freelance design work (print and web). Trying to relocate sometime soon, so a lot of resume writing and job searching.

My hobbies/passions were much more interesting a year ago: Scuba diving, writing, graphic design. I tutored a few college students in photoshop (the local community college only taught corel). I was in a psychobilly and then a noise-rock band. I was also involved with a group that toured throughout Florida dressed as pirates. It marks the second time in my life where I was actually paid to be a "pirate". Guess I have the look or something...

Time is more constricted now. I wake up at 5... get home at around 5:30 or 6. Try to remember to exercise, meditate or do something healthy. Usually cook dinner and/or cleanup. By then it's right around 8 o'clock, which gives me an hour or so to read, spend time with my pets and then get ready to start it all over again. So little time for anything. My wife says I have a serious problem with just relaxing and not doing anything. I probably do. She's usually right about stuff.

Scott

Jason L Blair

I work at Human Head doing really cool stuff, I read when I can (which isn't much), I hang out with my wife and daughter (who are awesome), I like to cook, eat things that are dangerously hot, and listen to music.

I love looking through art portfolios. Just looking at stuff is certainly a hobby of mine.

I think about the foundation and execution of intellectual property a lot. Every whatever number of days, I stumble across some theory or idea or concept and break it down to its base components and try to see how it could fit together differently or be merged with the components of other things. That's probably my favorite hobby.

I write fiction and poetry (not what you think). My latest fiction project, Charlotte, completely is chugging along. (It's online if you care: http://www.livejournal.com/~thisischarlotte)
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Thierry Michel

I read a lot too - history, science, essays etc. I have developed a taste for literature since I've grown out of my geekish period, and I'm ashamed that I can't remember more than fragments of all the poetry I read.

I would do what I do for work even if I wasn't paid for it (well, within reasonable limits), so it's all good - most people find it extemely boring which explains why I'm paid for it, by the way.

For holidays I try to pick remote spots to walk in, preferably abroad (it's not a real holiday if I understand the language).

I listen to plenty of music and try to go to gigs (classical and world music mostly, though I'm not yet too old for the odd indie rock night out).