News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Trollbabe print?

Started by Larry L., March 02, 2005, 09:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher Weeks

If you want investors to pay for art, one thing the investors might get is some rights to the work, or perhaps the original.  I know that won't work for lots of situations, but it might for some and might be an enticement for some investors.

Ron Edwards

Hello,

Christopher, through no fault of your own, your input is frustrating to read. Adept Press has been 'way ahead of the game for most of these points you're bringing up.

I never buy art. I only lease it. The whole issue of "allowing artists to retain the rights" is bullshit, because as far as I'm concerned, only they own the art from day one, forever. I never own it and as such, never have rights to it. I'm paying to use it, only. It's the standard Adept deal.

I appreciate your input, but really - 'way ahead of you.

Best,
Ron

Valamir

Umm...I think he was suggesting having the Investors get the art...not the artists.  Something along the lines of "pay in advance and get entered into a raffle to win the original cover art signed by the artist" type stuff.

Christopher Weeks

What Ralph said.  But more like if I pay $100 for a piece of pen'n'ink that spans the top half of a two-page spread, maybe I get the original -- rather than a raffle (though that's a great idea too), Ron gets art for the game, the artist gets 100 bucks and retains most of the rights.

Ron Edwards

Hello,

Ah. I did misunderstand, but actually, the real suggestion is even more unacceptable than what I'd perceived.

I'll never do anything with Adept Press that violates basic creator ownership. "Rights" to art (pictures, prose, etc) will never be transferred, negotiated, rearranged, or anything else.

Here's the application that makes the most sense to me - the investor might receive a nice print of the artwork they like the most. This would, however, have to be negotiated by the artist, not by me.

Best,
Ron

jeffpreston

Have there been many bites from illustrators willing to do art on this?

I'd be interested in hearing what they are willing to offer and what they'll offer it for (compensation-wise).

Being new at this and knowing a few other illustrators as well, I know some of us would roll up our sleeves and hammer out a lot of art for next to nothing (including comp copies and simple credited work). The competition is pretty brutal for some of us at this point and whetever builds a reputation for good work, on time (if not before), and offer competitive rates is worth $$$ to us in the long run.

Just a thought guys.

For some of us, work like this for cheap is a worthwhile investment.

Darren Hill

Hi, I've just discovered this thread - I really hope this goes ahead.

I'm one of those international buyers who really appreciates it having been available in pdf form - I wouldn't have taken the risk to buy it in print. It was my gateway drug - on the strength of it's quality, I've consumed many of the indie games produced in that non-euclidean dimension* known as the Forge, and Trollbabe is still my favourite.
As someone else said, I think this game has great potential for wide appeal.

* I understand that exposure to the Forge has a similar effect on the mind to those books mentioned by HP Lovecraft. I sometimes feel that way after browsing through arcane GNS discussions anyway, and shudder at the damage being done to my sanity  from my upwardly creeping Forge Mythos skill. :)

Darren