News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Greg Costikyan played Dark Places in Denmark

Started by Per Fischer, April 08, 2005, 07:06:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Per Fischer

Costikyan was invited as guest of honor to the Danish con where my Dark Places Sorcerer scenario was played (10 groups in all).

His feedback from the event is here: http://www.costik.com/weblog/ under "Fastaval".

The GM was apparently wearing a bunny custume, which seems decidedly odd for an Ellroy-inspired scenario. I was not a request from me ;)

Per
Per
--------
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Ron Edwards

Too bad the GM wasn't wearing bunny slippers. (Old Forge joke. Do a search on "slippers" with Paul Czege as the author.)

Anyway, one thing that jumped out at me in the account is the assumption that in a con game, you look at the character sheet in order to know how to act, which is more-or-less secondary or preliminary-play-oriented in a Sorcerer game.

So it sounds to me as if the author knew what he or she was doing in that regard, but it's not clear whether the group as a whole knew that the characters' substantive actions would be entirely up to them.

Best,
Ron

P.S. Damn. Search didn't work due to hyphens. The thread is Exxxploit.

Per Fischer

Quote from: Ron Edwards

So it sounds to me as if the author knew what he or she was doing in that regard, but it's not clear whether the group as a whole knew that the characters' substantive actions would be entirely up to them.

Well, if they read the player material, they should be. But players sometime don't .One player in one of the groups hadn't even realised the scenario demanded use of Sorcerer rules (which I stated explicitely in the description in the con's program) and opposed it during actual play - the group ended playing it freeform-ish and it was not a great success.

Each character was equipped with a Kicker, though, that demanded immediate action and decisions from the very start.

Per
Per
--------
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.