News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

OGL question

Started by Sean, April 08, 2005, 09:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efindel

Quote from: jerry
Quote from: efindel#3 applies to people making modules who want to simply cut-and-paste monster stat blocks, or to those making D&D variant systems, who would like to be able to use blocks of text from the D&D books instead of having to rewrite them..

I'm pretty sure that the OGL does not mention copying blocks of text from the D&D books. Any copied text has to be from an OGL document (such as the Standard Reference Document).

My apologies; I should've been more precise.  You can't copy directly from the D&D books, but the SRDs are essentially copied/"lifted" from the D&D books, so the effect is that you can, even though it's not a direct copying.

LloydBrown

QuoteKalamar: This is actually a campaign setting for D&D. As such, it uses the D20 System and it's license. It meets all the requirments of the D20 Trademark License.

Kalamar is NOT D20.  It's an offical D&D license.  Kenzer & Company signed a finite license for the rights to use D&D IP, including its trademark and copyrighted material from WotC books that are not allowed within the parameters of the SRD.  It does not include the D20 license in its books, and so it is not a legal D20 product.  

and
QuoteAs far as I know, WotC hasn't threatened to sue anyone yet, which leaves #2 out. (Someone please correct me if they have.)

At GenCon 2001, WotC handed down a demand to D20 publishers to bring their products into line, or there would be repercussions.  Primary violations were 1) failure to clearly identify open content and proprietary material within the text, 2) use of copyrighted material, and 3) failing to include the OGL.  Ask the folks at Fast Forward Entertainment what it feels like to get a Cease, Desist, and DESTROY order placed in your hand.  Ever wanted to just throw away a couple of million dollars worth of product? FFE now has NO products on its release schedule and is effectively out of the gaming industry at this point.  It's a harsh lesson.
Lloyd Brown
Freelance writer
www.lloydwrites.com

MisterPoppet

Jeez, you writers can get so anal..

Yes, I know it's an officially licensed product. I own a copy (it being official and the fact that you guys publish Knights of the Dinner Table were the only reasons I could get my group to play). However, in a content basis situation and for sake of simplicity (considering that most people here don't have the spending cash to get there stuff officially licensed), I was using it as an example of D20 System usage.

Besides it IS D20. D&D is a D20 System book. D20 is the core system. Therefore if you have a book that's supposed to be an official D&D product, it will be D20 (that and you have a little D20 sign plastered on the back). However, with the exception of four things (the no "Core Book" usage, the requirment of copyright [other than trademark] and license placement, the reqiurment of "Requires the use of the Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook, Third Edition, published by Wizards of the Coast, Inc.", and the ability to use anything from any other D&D book), your book is essentially a D20 System book. The above are "perks" to paying them money to use it. If you change the above things, you have yourself a D20 System book. Besides, you don't have to put the D20 license in the book, it's the Open Gaming License you would have to put in there. I'm sorry if I made a mistake in my explanation, I was tired (I hadn't gotten sleep in a week at that time. yay! my first night of sleep was two days ago!).

But I'm still partially right.... ^_^

-MisterPoppet-

LloydBrown

Quote from: MisterPoppetJeez, you writers can get so anal..

My point wasn't "nyah nyah, you're wrong", but that holding any Kalamar product up as an example of what the D20 license allows you to publish would be an easy way for a publisher to get himself in trouble quick.  No foul on your part, Mister Poppet!
Lloyd Brown
Freelance writer
www.lloydwrites.com

MisterPoppet

Hmm.. I see your point.

-MisterPoppet-