News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

This is getting out of hand...

Started by timfire, April 07, 2005, 05:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timfire

OK, maybe its just me, but everyone and their mother is abreivating their game titles now. I know I do it, but it annoys me sometimes 'cause I can't keep up.

It makes sense for some titles, like MLwM. But Tony today titled a post "TNaRPG"... What a hell does that mean? (I know what it means, I read the thread). Also, "Schrodinger's War" -- I thought "Scarlet Wake" already had dibs on "SW."

I don't know. I know it's tiring to write out titles sometimes, but I just can't always keep up with what everyone is talking about.
--Timothy Walters Kleinert

TonyLB

Agreed.  I should have written it out, as should everyone else.  Look how much interest "electrified spikes through the soles of your feet" has quite reasonably garnered.

I think that if your title is not such that you want to write it out every single time then maybe you have a problem.  In that vein, I think I'll probably change TNaRPG to "That Ain't Roleplaying!", which is much snappier.  Too late for that particular thread, unfortunately.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Jason L Blair

Quote from: timfireI read the thread). Also, "Schrodinger's War" -- I thought "Scarlet Wake" already had dibs on "SW."

I think Star Wars called dibs on that a while ago. ;)
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

greyorm

Does the abbreviation trend mean that I can refer to Orx as just "O" now? Cool, I'm going to trademark the capital letter "O" and sue the shit out of anyone else who uses it, thus dominating the industry (I'm nice enough that I'll let you all use the lower case "o" without owing me royalties).

Also, no one is allowed to use the number "0" and the Greek letter theta any longer, without paying us a fee. We feel that these symbols would be confusing to the public because they bear too close a resemblance to the capital letter "O", diluting our ownership of said trademark.

Soon, my power will rival that of Bill Gates!
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Domhnall

This is a good topic for me... I actually am considering that I must have two words so that people can refer to it quickly rather than spelling out one word.  

??
--Daniel

Andrew Morris

Well, use the full name the first time you use it in a particular piece, then use the acronym for all later references. That's what most styleguides recommend.

[edited to add:]
Quote from: greyormSoon, my power will rival that of Bill Gates!
No, don't be silly -- Bill Gates already has ones and zeroes trademarked.
Download: Unistat

Emily Care

QuoteDoes the abbreviation trend mean that I can refer to Orx as just "O" now?
Oh, no, you've got the right idea already.  One word's they way to go. Never hear folks referring to Sorcerer and Unversalis as "S" or "U", do ya?  Although, since folks want to have shorter ways to refer to their favorite game, maybe we could take the Universalis approach and give them all cute nicknames like Uni:

The Mountain Witch could be "Mounty"

Scarlet Wake could be "Scarry"

Under My Skin could be "Skinny"

Sorcerer could be "Sorcha"

Polaris could be "Polly"

And fans of Shadow of Yesterday & Conspiracy of Shadows could fight it out over calling their game "Shad".  

(Course I shouldn't joke I've certainly been an offender when I talk about my games. My big thing is what Andrew said, if folks do use an acronym, they should at least spell it out once in the post. Otherwise it is real confusing.)

best,
Em
Koti ei ole koti ilman saunaa.

Black & Green Games

joshua neff

I'd say Shadow of Yesterday should be called "Shady" or "T-Soy."

Conspiracy of Shadows? "ConShad."
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

Ben Lehman

Quote from: Emily Care

Polaris could be "Polly"

And fans of Shadow of Yesterday & Conspiracy of Shadows could fight it out over calling their game "Shad".  

Is there something wrong with me that I'm picturing this as a cute kids show, with kid versions of all the Forge games living together?

joshua neff

Quote from: Ben Lehman

Polaris could be "Polly"

Is there something wrong with me that I'm picturing this as a cute kids show, with kid versions of all the Forge games living together?

Forge Babies?
--josh

Ben Lehman

Quote from: joshua neff
Quote from: Ben Lehman

Polaris could be "Polly"

Forge Babies?

To the tune of "Muppet Babies"

No promises for quality.  No apologies to the creators of the games or that god-awful show.  No apologies if I didn't work your game in, either.

Forge Game babies -- we make our game come true
Forge Game babies -- we'll do the same for you

Sorcha: When you game kinda plays wierd and you wish you weren't there.
Vinny: Just change your system and your playing group, you can be anywhere!

Sorcha: I like humanity
Vinny: I like judgement
Bernie: I like my lifepaths
Massy: what Master meant?
Primmy: I've got a story arc
Trollie: I've got one stat
Dusty: I've got a pistol
Uni: Imagine that!
Capey: I've got great power
Shaddy: Sex! Drugs! Sex! Drugs!

Edwards: This thread is off topic!
Everyone: Yes, Ron...

Forge Game babies -- we make our game come true
Forge Game babies -- we'll do the same for you

Forge games, forge games, forge games, forge games
babies babies babies babies
makes games come true.

Brennan Taylor

Quote from: joshua neffI'd say Shadow of Yesterday should be called "Shady" or "T-Soy."

Heh. I already call Shadow of Yesterday "T-Soy."

Meguey

Ben, you are sick, troubled man, and you have way too much time on your hands!  I might need to go wash my brain after reading the Forge Babies filk. *shudder*

joshua neff

--josh