News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Apostrophes showing up as Question marks.

Started by Silmenume, April 16, 2005, 08:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silmenume

So I'm reading through the Provisional Glossary and I'm noticing something rather curious.  Certain symbols aren't being displayed properly on my computer.  For Example -

QuoteWhiff Factor
    The effect of a high failure-rate for a given Resolution mechanic, especially when the rate does not accord with the character?s expected competence. A common source of Deprotagonizing; usually considered a Design flaw.[/list:u]
As you can see what I'm assuming to be the apostrophe is displaying as a question mark.

Here is another example -

QuoteTransparency
    Rules design that does not call attention to the rules in operation. A controversial term; I suggest that it is subsumed within Coherence without reference to any degree of rules? detail or their quantitative vs. qualitative features. See Transparency and Transparency again.[/list:u]
Again I'll assume the question mark is supposed to be an apostrophe.

I checked the language setting on my IE and it is set to English (United States).

Anyone have an idea of what is going on and how to address it?
Aure Entuluva - Day shall come again.

Jay

J B Bell

In my experience, this means that the original document was made using Word.  Some publishing programs handle this and turn it into the right HTML entity; most apparently don't.  Usually IE displays it OK and other programs have trouble, but I guess it can be a problem even for IE, at least sometimes.

From my perspective, this is about a broken authoring tool, not a broken browser.  Others may disagree.  At any rate, other than re-publishing the document, there's no simple solution.

--JB
"Have mechanics that focus on what the game is about. Then gloss the rest." --Mike Holmes

Silmenume

Excellent!

Thank you for taking the time to respond!
Aure Entuluva - Day shall come again.

Jay