News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Drama, Fortune, Karma -- Still valid? [split]

Started by Andrew Morris, March 24, 2005, 02:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Morris

Drew-

As to "formally adding" Skill, I don't think that's really possible. Not because I don't think it's valuable, but because there's really nothing formal about the classification itself. I might be wrong, but my take on it is this:

1) Tweet creates the terminology (specifically for Everway, not as a general rule)
2) Ron puts forward DFK as a tool for general use
3) Others agree, and the terms fall into general use

So, it's not as though there's some "RPG Terminology Council" to appeal to or anything. I've just put forward my belief that DFK, while useful, is incomplete, making it a less valuable tool than it could be. So, I will use Skill when I have occasion to discuss such things. If others agree, they'll start using it too. If it becomes widespread,  maybe Ron will put it in the provisional glossary. So let's not worry about any formal acceptance right now. Everyone's stated what they think, and there's been lots of good discussion, even if I don't agree with everything.

Okay, with that out of the way....glad to hear that you agree.
Download: Unistat

rrr

Thanks for the clarification.  

As a new reader to the Forge I got the impression that there perhaps was a kind of group consensus as to which terms were considered standard and which weren't.  Obviously the process by which they are adopted is fairly organic, but I got the impression there may be some point at which a term's meaning and usage may be "fixed" as it were.  

Seems it's actually even more organic a process than I thought!

Again, thanks for the clarification.

Drew
My name is Drew
I live just outside north London, UK
Here's my 24hours Ronnies entry: Vendetta

contracycle

I believe the best way to lay claim to a bit of terrain, as it were, would be write an article for publishing on the Forge articles page, so that your argument may be referenced in future.
Impeach the bomber boys:
www.impeachblair.org
www.impeachbush.org

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."
- Leonardo da Vinci