News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Shared Imagined Space, Shared Text

Started by Victor Gijsbers, April 02, 2005, 03:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor Gijsbers

Hi Sean,

Your enthusiasm reinforces mine - I want to thank you for that. I agree with you that there are interesting connections between Walton's ideas and the kind of RPG theory we are discussing here; connections which can throw more light on both, and when well though out and written down could surely feature in a scholarly journal. Are you working in an academic environment?

There are many ways I wish to go with the material thus far discussed in this thread, but I'm going to a philosophy of science conference in Dubrovnik, Croatia, for the next 10 days. So you won't hear from me until at least the 18th, but hopefully I'll be back with many fresh ideas after that.

JMendes

Hey, :)

Victor, yeah, excellent job. The three-space-three-process model is a very basic model, pervasive to a wide number of human processes.

Cheers,

J.
João Mendes
Lisbon, Portugal
Lisbon Gamer

Silmenume

Hey Victor!

I have read this thread and have had some difficulties following it, but that is my fault not anyone else's!

I don't know if this helps at all or not, but I think there is some similarities between the ideas in this thread and some of the ideas that were tossed around here.

Regarding the names of the three spaces I am struck by the possibility that 2 and 3 might be more descriptively called Fact Space and Affective Space respectively.  The "Fact Space" is the "objective" space that all the players must agree on as per the Lumpley Principle.  I propose Affect space to describe the "everything" that goes on in the players' heads with respect to/in reaction to the Fact Space/SGS.

The only other suggestion I have to offer, and all these are offered with the understanding that they may not be what you are looking for, is to call the Process of Imagination the Process of Transformation instead.  This is only suggested to help create a greater distinction between the ideas and phrases of Imagination and Creativity.

I am very interested in your thesis overall and I hope my suggestions may in some way help you in the pursuit of your ideas!
Aure Entuluva - Day shall come again.

Jay