News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

LARP Matrix Game idea

Started by MatrixGamer, April 22, 2005, 02:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

komradebob

Nikola;
Are you confusing a  LARP game set in the world of  The Matrix ( as in the Keanu Reeves movie) with Matrix Games, as in the style of games made by Chris ( MatrixGamer)?
Robert
Robert Earley-Clark

currently developing:The Village Game:Family storytelling with toys

Joshua A.C. Newman

Quote from: komradebobNikola;
Are you confusing a  LARP game set in the world of  The Matrix ( as in the Keanu Reeves movie) with Matrix Games, as in the style of games made by Chris ( MatrixGamer)?
Robert

Yeah, we've already sorted that out. Thanks.

My design recommendations were metamechanical in nature and not context sensitive anyway, so consider it a (perhaps overdeveloped) example.

-J
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.

komradebob

Nikola:
Apologies for dead-horse beating...

Robert
Robert Earley-Clark

currently developing:The Village Game:Family storytelling with toys

MatrixGamer

Quote from: Andrew MorrisObviously, I don't think there's anything bad about LARP players carrying around a bag of tokens, since that's exactly what I'm doing in Shadows & Light.

I don't have anything against carrying around tokens, I'd just keep it low in number 7-10 (what you can hold in your hand. If players are passing them between one another to make arguments then the economy of the game is self pertetuating. Otherwise they go back to the main GM to get more coins or cash in tokens - at the same time filling the GM in on what has happened.

I like th idea of a central information nexus (main GM) to which everything returns. This gives players a meeting point - so the one who don't want to be too active can sit around and watch the game happen.

Chris Engle
Hamster Press
Chris Engle
Hamster Press = Engle Matrix Games
http://hamsterpress.net

MatrixGamer

Quote from: nikolaI like the punchout idea: simple and permanent. You can't get those chads back in.

I like that as a game mechnism. A hole puncher is light and small, and you said inalterable.

And yeah, the game is not set in the movie Matrix world. I coined the term Matrix Game in 1988. The matrix is the collection of information that we know about the world. This is always incomplete - our minds fill in the blanks to create wholes (gestalts). As actions happen in the game they add new information to the picture. Sometimes small changes can make hugh differences.

Chris Engle
Hamster Press
Chris Engle
Hamster Press = Engle Matrix Games
http://hamsterpress.net

Joshua A.C. Newman

Quote from: MatrixGamer
Quote from: nikolaI like the punchout idea: simple and permanent. You can't get those chads back in.

I like that as a game mechnism. A hole puncher is light and small, and you said inalterable.

Incidentally, the reason I like this is not because of cheating - that's easily done with a hole puncher and a xerox of your sheet.

The reason I like it is because when you kachunk out a piece, you're saying, "This matters to me thiiiiiiis much!"

QuoteAnd yeah, the game is not set in the movie Matrix world. I coined the term Matrix Game in 1988. The matrix is the collection of information that we know about the world. This is always incomplete - our minds fill in the blanks to create wholes (gestalts). As actions happen in the game they add new information to the picture. Sometimes small changes can make hugh differences.

Interesting. Sorry for the confusion.

Nonetheless, what I suggested stands; I was using The Matrix as an examples.

What I don't like about the punchouts is that players can't give each other mechanical appreciation (not that I'd mentioned this before). If everyone has 10 (or whatever) extra beads to hand out for appreciation, it gives more control to the players to guide toward what they think is cool.
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.

Andrew Morris

Or they can filter that through a GM. That seems a little bit kludgy to me, but it might be right for what Chris is trying to do, since he did say that he likes the idea of the GM being a central clearinghouse for information. Whatever record-keeping method you go with, you're going to have good and bad points.
Download: Unistat