News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

PTA to run Manga, Part Deux

Started by Andy Kitkowski, April 25, 2005, 01:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Kitkowski

Why do I even bother sometimes?  :-)

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?p=3854202

Basically, my take on how PTA is The Greatest Manga Roleplaying Game, EVAR.

I guess the best way to prove this would be to hammer at a couple of sessions and write up some Actual Play info.

-Andy
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

b_bankhead

of course you realize that 'all' you need to make the ultimate comic (manga) game is to combine PTA with a panel and page based scene  mechanic......
Got Art? Need Art? Check out
SENTINEL GRAPHICS  

Andy Kitkowski

Quote from: b_bankheadof course you realize that 'all' you need to make the ultimate comic (manga) game is to combine PTA with a panel and page based scene  mechanic......

Heh.  Actually, where there's "series", manga have "story arcs".  In the aforementioned (on that thread), there's the "Intro Arc", the "Genshiken almost burns down the school" arc, the "Genshiken takes place in a comic convention" arc, etc. So arcs, etc are there.

Panels and pages... yeah, there's a lot of focus on style in some manga. But overall, I think that could be relegated to the Noise At The Table.

Ex: In my last PTA session, we joked about how "the scene opens with a camera flare, and X", or "this is where the dramatic music swells, as Y marches to the throne".  Kind of the same thing, but in "panel talk" and "page talk".

Tho if you have more specific ideas, I'd LOVE to hear them (note: I'm a manga whore, but I actually know very little about regular comics).

-Andy
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Danny_K

I've thought the same thing, only for good ol' Western comics.  I don't think you'd need a specific mechanic for pages, just some famliarity with the lingo, so you can riff on the illustrations as you describe the scene.  

Hmm... next game of PTA is definitely going to be superheroes, so I can try this.
I believe in peace and science.

Matt Wilson

Hey Andy:

I'm not anything like a manga fan, but I'll take your word for it if you say it works.

Maybe I can have one of those explosion-star callouts on the cover with an anime likeness of you saying "andy says: great for anime dayo!"

Andy Kitkowski

http://www.j-rpg.com/images/andy.gif

LET'S FOR EXCITE ANIMATION STRESSORS CONFLICT ENJOY, GET!!

Pooh, they turned the img tags off.  Oh well, just click the link. :-)