News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A Cauldron of Magic Beans[Floor game]

Started by komradebob, April 26, 2005, 10:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

komradebob

Well, I've been reading and posting at the Forge for a long time now, and I guess it's time I posted a design for critique.

Below is my (lengthy) design. It is an attempt to add some structure to  Floor Games (a term coined by HG Wells in his book of the same title).

Briefly, a floor game is a game played with miniatures. It is not inherently a war game, although it could go in that direction. These particular rules were the result of attempting to crunch the Universalis rules down to use with miniatures. In the end, I ended up crunching them so much that I ended with a diceless, drama resolution game that also employs some resource management. GM duties are dispersed to the extent that there is no effective difference between players except on a temporary basis.

I've only included the core rules below. I've got a few other sections of writing that contain "soft rules" that I actually consider fairly important. If anyone would like to view those files, please pm me with an e-mail address and I'll shoot them off to you.

As you read these rules, there are a few key questions that i'd like help with:
1) Drama resolution vs. Player control of claimed characters.
This one is a personal hobgoblin. I've got some commentary in the soft rules chapters, but I haven't been able to work out any exact way of dealing with this particular issue. Basically, the crux is dealing with situations like Player 1( Has right to drama resolution= Temporary Fiat powers) " The Dragon eats the Knight". Player2 ( claim on Knight= full control of character) "Suck moonrocks. Sir Bertrand gets away clean!"

2) I'm also concerned that the mechanics may support the wong behavior. When players put beans in the cauldron, it is either because they are adding to the game world in some fashion, or because they are contesting some outcome. This then makes it more likely tha they will be called on to issue a decision on an outcome. My motivation for this system is that it temporarily acts to reduce a given player's ability to influence the direction of the game compared to other players, and also gives them responsibilty for taking on a "game master" role as a sort of payback for the influence. My concern is whether it might encourage a domineering player to regularly add new game elements or call for story directional shifts, then reward them by calling on them to also make decisions regularly ( the exact opposite of what I'm looking for!).
3) Number of players. I wrote this with 3-4 players in mind, but it isn't really tested. I'm not sure what variations if any might be necessary for 2 players or for 4+ players.

4)Adult play. I wrote this with the idea that it would be used primarily as an intro to general gaming concepts to kids, or for parents/aunts/uncles/etc to play with kids. OTOH, I'd like to think that adults might find this type of game enjoyable, too. I could see it being the basis of a club miniatures game. I'm just looking for general impressions on this one, actually.

5) Minor query ( and one that I wouldn't lose sleep over): what part of the GNS spectrum does this support? I've always considered myself a Sim guy myself, but this game seems to open up some possibilites for more narr style play. Again, just looking for general impressions.

6) Has someone already used this title? I have a nagging little voice in the back of my head that says I might have chosen this title after hearing it elsewhere, but searches for a refernce here and at rpg.net have come up empty...

Whew! here it is:

A Cauldron of Magic Beans: A Method for Playing Floor Games.

What You Need to Play:

•Space to set up the game world.
•A Cauldron
•Magic Beans (five per player, with each player getting a different color. There is also a single Magic Bean of a distinct color called The Changing Bean).
•Playing Pieces (This includes figures for characters, as well as other stuff like house models or building blocks)
•A Sense of Good Manners and Fair Play.

Calling upon the Cauldron of Magic Beans

Throughout the game, the cauldron of magic beans will be used for a variety of purposes. During set up, it is used to determine which player gets to pick a theme for the game and decide which pieces are used. It will also be used to determine the order in which players get to place pieces to create the game world. During game play, the Cauldron of Magic Beans will be used to determine which of the players will be called upon to settle differences over figure claims and story direction.
The Cauldron of Magic Beans is used in a similar way throughout the game. The player that currently has the cauldron (The Cauldron Holder) puts his or her hand in the cauldron, mixes the magic beans around, and picks a magic bean without peeking. The cauldron holder then reveals the bean to all the players and hands the bean to the owning player. He then passes the cauldron to the next player on his left, who becomes the new cauldron holder.
Usually, the person whose bean was drawn will be asked to make some sort of decision. That person gets to think about and announce their decision before any other beans are drawn.

Using The Cauldron of Magic Beans to settle a Dispute:
This is one of the most important functions of the cauldron and magic beans.

When two or more players want different things to happen and can't agree on a way to work it out to everyone's satisfaction, players can resort to using the cauldron.

The players involved in the dispute get the attention of the current cauldron holder. They quickly describe the situation. Starting with the player closest to the cauldron holder's left, each player gets to describe what they want to have as an outcome. The player may place one or more of their magic beans in the cauldron. They may also choose to place no beans in the cauldron. These magic beans can come from their unused pile or any of their claimed figures (which then become unclaimed).
Players may also pass if they wish, neither suggesting outcomes, nor placing any beans in the cauldron.

After all other player have had their chance to describe outcomes and place beans in the cauldron, the cauldron holder gets a turn. The cauldron holder (and only the cauldron holder) may also choose to put the changing bean into the cauldron, in addition to any of his beans. The cauldron holder may make a show of placing the changing bean in the cauldron if they wish. I think it would be very appropriate in a fantasy game to use some magic words and hand motions.

The cauldron holder gives the beans a good stir and picks one without peeking. The cauldron holder then reveals the bean to the players and gives it to the owner.

The player that owns the bean gets to narrate the outcome. Players are encouraged to be colorful in their description of the outcome.

All of the other beans stay in the cauldron, until another decision using the cauldron and magic beans is required.

If the changing bean is drawn, the cauldron holder decides the issue to his liking and becomes the new changing bean holder. Being the changing bean holder gives the player special abilities to change the game.
Now, after the game has been going on for a while, it may happen that the bean drawn belongs to a player that passed. That player must decide the outcome of the situation.  They will simply have to make a decision on the spot.

When Two (or More) Players want to Claim the Same figure:
If two players both decide to claim the same piece at nearly the same instant, only one player will get to claim it. As always, players are encouraged to negotiate with one another first. However, if players still disagree, the cauldron and magic beans will be used to determine which player gets to claim the figure.

This works much like using the cauldron in any other dispute, except that only the players involved in attempting to claim the figure get to place beans in the cauldron. They may choose to put no beans in the cauldron if they wish.

Once all involved players have had a chance to place beans in the pot, the cauldron holder picks a bean without looking.

If the bean belongs to one of the involved players, the cauldron holder puts the bean by the figure and the player whose bean was drawn claims it.

If the bean belongs to an uninvolved player, that player must choose which of the involved players gets to claim the figure. The uninvolved player gets their bean returned. This is possible if there are already beans in the pot from other uses.

The chosen player must place one of their beans on the figure, even if it means taking one off a different figure. They may use the changing bean if they are the current changing bean holder.

If the chosen player doesn't have any beans to put on the figure, they've been very silly. The person whose bean was drawn must choose someone else among the involved players.

The cauldron holder must search in the cauldron for one of the bean-less player's beans and give it to them. They do not get to claim the disputed figure with it! This is the only time anyone should go through the cauldron and pick a bean while peeking!

Setting Up the Game:

The very first thing that should be done is to set out all of the available playing pieces. This includes all the figures, blocks, and anything else that might be used to play the floor game. You should also place all the Magic Beans and the Changing Bean into The Cauldron and set it nearby.

Drawing Magic Beans
The players will take turns drawing magic beans. The bean is given to the player who owns it. The Cauldron is then passed to the next player.

Repeat this process until the changing bean is drawn.

Some folks want to know who gets to make the first draw. It is up to the players to decide. Here are some suggestions:
•The oldest or youngest player.
•A player playing a floor game for the first time.
•The player that traveled the farthest to get to the game.
•The player that contributed the most game pieces.

When the Changing Bean is drawn

The player that drew it becomes the Changing Bean Holder and keeps the changing bean in addition to any other magic beans of their color. The cauldron is passed, but further drawing is temporarily put on hold.

The Changing Bean Holder decides the theme of the Game

The Changing Bean Holder picks the theme (the main idea) for the floor game. The Changing Bean Holder is encouraged to take suggestions from the other players about the type of game everyone would like to play.

An example of a floor game theme from real life:
The Green Griffon Inn was located at a crossroads, deep within a dark forest filled with dangerous creatures. Travelers would stop overnight at the Green Griffon while journeying between the port city to the east and the outlying villages to the west. The characters in the game were people that worked at the Green Griffon, traveling merchants from exotic lands, and more than a few shady con men and thieves. A tribe of tiger-people lives at a secret camp in the forest, and sometimes comes to the Green Griffon Inn to meet with their few human contacts.

The Changing Bean Holder chooses the pieces that will be used.
They are allowed to consider the entire collection and decide which of those pieces are going to make up the game collection. They should place these where everyone can see them, and in a way that they can't be confused with the pieces that won't be used.

[A quick note about building blocks: When using blocks in a floor game, it is usually best to put them in several piles or bowls containing enough blocks to make something interesting. The same idea holds for lichen/ miniature trees (for making forests) and modeling clay. Players are going to pick pieces to create the game world, and it would be awfully unfair to stick some people with a single Lego or bit of lichen as a choice.]

When deciding on what pieces to put in the game collection, the changing bean holder should take into account the number of players in the game. Each player is going to have five beans to use when picking pieces for the game world, so try to have enough pieces that everyone has a chance to pick several. For example, in a three player game, sixteen pieces is a good number (5 beans x 3 players =15 pieces +1 more piece for the changing bean=16 pieces). If you are using a whole lot of pieces, you can group some together as a single pick or simply leave them unchosen to be brought in after the game has started.

The Changing Bean Holder starts the Game World

After the Changing Bean Holder has made his or her final choices for the game collection, the changing bean holder picks one piece and places it anywhere in the playing area, arranging it as they choose, to start the game world.

The Changing Bean Holder now gives up the Changing Bean, placing it near, but not in, the Cauldron.

Building the Game World

Starting with the cauldron holder, each player may place one of their magic beans in a pile with the changing bean to pick a piece from the game collection. The player sets out their chosen piece in the playing area.
Picking then proceeds to the left, with each player expending a bean to take a turn picking and placing a piece. Any player who runs out of beans is skipped for now, and the next player to the left with any beans takes their turn.

A player cannot pass when it is their turn to spend a magic bean!!

Using the Beans that are still in the Cauldron

Once all players have used all their beans that are not in the cauldron, it is time to draw more beans.

Going back to the Cauldron Holder (at this point, this should be the person to the left of the player that drew the Changing Bean), magic beans are drawn, one at a time and given to their owner.

The player whose magic bean was drawn must immediately do one of the following:

•Make a pick (if any are left) from the Game Collection and place it.
•Add an unused piece to the game collection (but may not place it in the game world).

The player then places the bean in the pile with the changing bean, and the cauldron is passed to the next player. Repeat the process until all beans are used up.

At this point, keep any unpicked game collection pieces handy. The rest of the collection can be put away to give players more room to move around.

Starting the Game:
Place all of the Magic Beans, except the Changing Bean, in the Cauldron.

Draw Magic Beans
Another round of drawing magic beans occurs. Players draw without peeking, then pass on the Cauldron. The player whose magic bean is drawn is given the bean.
They must make a choice of what to do with the bean before another bean is drawn.
They decide to:

Keep the bean in their hand (or in a pile near them)
Or
Place it by a figure piece to claim it.

Continue this until the cauldron is once again empty of beans.You are now ready to begin playing the floor game.

Benefits of Claiming a figure:
It shows the other players that you plan to play with that figure. You can move a claimed figure, describe the figure's actions, speak in their voice, and make up details about that figure. Also, you always have final say about what happens to that character, including deciding what happens to them in the case of accidents and battles!

Claiming more than one figure
Players may claim more than one figure, and during the game, claims on figures can switch as players decide to play with different figures.

Giving Up a Claim to a figure:
A player may give up a claim on a figure simply by removing their bean from the figure at any time.

Playing with Unclaimed Figures:
Players can also play with unclaimed figures, but that doesn't tend to be as much fun. More fun comes when figures claimed by two or more different players interact. If another player claims a figure that you've been playing with, you must give up the figure or dispute the claim immediately.

Claiming Figures during a Game:
Players can also claim figures once the game has started.  They do this simply by announcing their intention and placing one of their magic beans beside the figure. So long as no one else also tries to claim the figure at the same time, they automatically claim the figure.

Other Things to Do with Magic Beans:

Magic Beans can be used to...
•Bring in a figure or piece from the Game Collection.
•Move a claimed figure to other areas of the world.
•Create exciting encounters to challenge and befuddle travelers.
•Focus the theme of scenes between figures claimed by different players.

Bring in a figure or piece from the game collection:
A player can place one of their beans in the cauldron to bring an unused piece from the game collection into the game world. It must be from the game collection, not the entire collection (only the changing bean holder can do that!).
The person picking gets to place the piece as they wish in the game world area.

Moving Figures, Near and Far:
Any figure can be moved around on a single set. This is called Near movement. Players can do this without using any of their magic beans.
Far movement is used when a player wants to move a claimed figure between sets (like a pair of villages). They must place one of their magic beans in the cauldron. They can then send that figure on a lengthy journey. This is good for sending characters on adventures to the far side of the world.

Adventures on the Road:
Lots of strange things can happen when people leave their comfortable surroundings and head out into the big wide world. The same thing is true for the figures in the game.

When a claimed figure travels between sets, any player can decide that the figure has an adventure on the road.  The journey is stopped at a point chosen by the interrupting player, who places one of their beans into the cauldron to do so.

That player describes what exactly has interrupted the journey- and it better be interesting! Stopping Far movement for something uninteresting is very bad form!

Examples of interesting events:
•The introduction of a monster or strange person who threatens the traveler.
•The traveler encounters storms or dangerous terrain (a lava flow, a whirlpool at sea, an asteroid field that has to be navigated).  
•A person asks for their help finding a lost animal.

In any case, the traveler is going to have to deal with the situation before they can move farther along in their journey. The interrupting player the gets to pick and place a single game collection piece or place some sort of obstacle. They can pick or place more than one, but then they must put more beans in the cauldron. They have to describe the situation, tell what is happening, and explain why the traveler should stop. The scene starts from that point.

Focusing a Scene:
You can put a bean in the cauldron to call a quick time out and declare a new direction for a scene. Unless someone contests the new direction, all the players with figures involved should make an honest attempt to follow the direction being established by the player who placed the bean in the cauldron.

If several players want to change the direction of the scene, the matter is decided using the cauldron and magic beans.  

The Changing Bean:
The changing bean holder has a great amount of power to change the game, but those changes can be big or little. It is up to the changing bean holder to decide what scale of change to make.

The Changing Bean can be used to...

•Alter the layout of the game world.
•Declare a change in direction of the story.
•Add figures or pieces from the entire collection (not just the game collection).
•Subtract pieces from the game.
•End the game and start a new one!

When the changing bean is drawn during a game, the new changing bean holder can immediately do one of the following:

Get rid of the Changing Bean.
They can put it next to the cauldron, in the cauldron, or give it to another player of their choice. If they give it to another player, that person immediately becomes the changing bean holder.

Keep the Changing Bean and use it as an extra magic bean.
They lose control of the changing bean the next time it is placed in the cauldron, so if they use it for anything other than claiming a piece, they will be giving it up. They may use the changing bean's special game altering abilities at any later time simply by announcing their intention to the other players.

Make changes to the world.
The Changing Bean Holder should get everyone's attention, and announce what they plan to do. The game play is temporarily halted while the changing bean holder makes the changes. After the changes are finished, the changing bean is placed beside the cauldron and play continues.

Kinds of Changes That can be made with the Changing Bean.

Alter the Layout of the World:
The changing bean holder can alter the world by rearranging sets, pieces, and figures. They may re-arrange things as much or as little as they like. As always, the changing bean holder should ask for advice and input from the other players. Any claimed pieces stay claimed.

Add Figures and pieces from the entire collection:
The changing bean holder can bring other new stuff into the game world.
•They may choose from any items in the entire collection, not just the game collection.
•They may place as much or as little as they wish.
•They may add to existing sets, but may not otherwise alter them, nor should they move figures more than absolutely necessary to place new pieces.
•They may add items from the entire collection to the available picks in the game collection, without placing them in the game world.
•They may not subtract any pieces.

Subtract as many pieces as they like:
The changing bean holder may decide that the game would be better without some of the figures or sets. They might be pieces no one is interested in playing with or they might run against the theme of the game.
•The changing bean holder may place the pieces back in the unpicked game collection area, or may place them in the off-limits area (where only another changing bean holder may pick them later in the game). The off-limits area is simply the area where any pieces that weren't picked from the entire collection are kept.
•The changing bean holder should make up reasons for any of these changes. The reasons could be very dramatic ("Skull Island Exploded from a Fiery Volcanic Eruption! Fwoosh!") or very subtle ("The Hill Goblins have acted like such absolute bounders that everyone shuns them from then on and refuses to have anything to do with them"), or simply practical ( "No one seems to be enjoying playing with the Mining Camp. I'm going to remove it so we have more space. Let's pretend that they realized there wasn't any more gold left in the vein").

Declare a new theme for the game:
Just as when the changing bean was first drawn during game set up, a new direction for the game may be declared.
•The new theme can be any sort of idea that the changing bean player can come up with.
•All the players should take the new theme into account in their play after that point.

Call the whole game off.
They may call for the game to end (a good idea if it is getting late, or if the players want to try something new).
If the game is in an area where it can be left up, the changing bean holder may call a halt to play for the day, or for a short stretching-and-food break. Place the changing bean as above, and everyone should remember who the current Cauldron Holder is. If the current game is to end, but play is to continue with a new game, everyone places all the magic beans (including the changing bean) in the cauldron, just as when starting any new game.

Well, minus the soft rules sections that I mentioned, this is the core of the beast. If you're still with me I appreciate the time you've taken to read through this set. Any comments are greatly appreciated, and a test spin if you've got the inclination would be even more appreciated.

Thank you,
Robert
Robert Earley-Clark

currently developing:The Village Game:Family storytelling with toys