News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Surfing game?

Started by anonymouse, September 08, 2005, 01:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anonymouse

(I never know where to put this sort of topic at the Forge..)

I'm running a mecha game with a slightly unusual method of flying, and while I've managed a pretty good rules plugin to handle this, I'm really curious if someone else might've done something similar. Are there any games (and doesn't necessarily have to be tabletop RPG, though not looking for video/console) out there that have a rules system for.. surfing? Wave speed, stability, tricks.. all that good stuff?
You see:
Michael V. Goins, wielding some vaguely annoyed skills.
>

Jason Morningstar

I'd look at the control and trick schemes built into console games like Kelly Slater Pro Surfer and Transword Surf.  That would be a start - at least they've organized the activity into some sort of heirarchy and metaphor. 

--Jason

Eric Provost

Out of curiosity, what are you looking to get from those rules?  Numbers?  Like, how a fast wave affects your stability and your speed?  Stuff like that?

Unfortunately I just don't know of any surfing games, but I am a fan of mecha strategy games.  My introduction to Battletech predated my introduction to RPGs of any form, and my introduction to Battletech came from a disucussion about my fandom of Robotech.

I just noticed that you said that you're running this game, not designing it.  (Well, if you're looking for plugin rules yer doing some designing)  So, I'm curious about what rules set your using.

-Eric

anonymouse

jason,

Yeah, I've got a cheap copy of Transworld Surf on-hand, going to be checking that out this weekend.

Eric,

This is for a Mekton Zeta game; it's really the only mecha game around, aside from BattleTech, and for the source material BT just would never work (am a big BT fan though -- Free Worlds League, represent!). I'll probably wind up posting whatever I use over at rpg.net, or maybe on some webspace, for the curious (MZ is woefully out of date when it comes to modern mecha style and tropes). Will know after some playtest this weekend.
You see:
Michael V. Goins, wielding some vaguely annoyed skills.
>

Eric Provost

Quoteit's really the only mecha game around, aside from BattleTech

Oooh!  You're leaving out my current favorite mecha game, Heavy Gear.  Favorite meaning it's the only one I've played in the past decade.  Wow.  I think I pulled that sucker off the shelf last in... gaw... '98.  Ouch.  I need more mecha-fan-friends that have time to waste learning complex rules & strategy.

If it's any interest, HG does have a standard um... roller skating rules set.  Pretty much every mecha has wheels on the backs of their feet for skimming about the place.

Unfortunately for me, I've never checked out Zeta, so I've got no basis of comparison.

Every so often my mind wanders back to mecha games, Robotech, and making a Nar mecha RPG.  *momentary dreamy state*

But, back on topic, I'll be interested to hear about the playtest.  Keep us up to date?

-Eric