News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

dry swimming thread (thread o' examples)

Started by Georgios Panagiotidis, April 28, 2005, 06:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georgios Panagiotidis

Hi everyone.

I noticed that a lot of people asked for more in-game examples in the PDF wishlist thread. This is a great idea, I think and I'd like to use this thread to come up with some examples.

Namely of how people request scenes and how they frame them. But also how to come up with issues for your characters, etc. Basically examples for everything that PtA does differently than RPGs like D&D, Shadowrun, etc.

I'm hoping that these examples will give me and others a better grasp of how the game works, and thus help explain it to new players - which has been a problem for me.

Test Run (The name)

The Series
Genre - Espionage Thriller
Setting - field agent training facilities
Atmosphere - slightly over-dramatic, semi-documentary feel full of intrigue  (similar to Spy Game)
Tone - straight-forward serious action-drama (similar to 24)

Episode Structure - each episode deals with a special assignment for the trainees (the player characters); performance evaluation might become a recurring motif through the season

What else would you want to flesh out? What kind of criteria would play a role?

The Characters
Alex Anderson (Player A) - 2/2/1/3/1
Brian Boxworth (Player B) - 2/1/1/3/2
Charlotte Carter (Player C) - 2/2/1/1/3

What would be appropriate issues for this show? Or rather, if you were one of the players.. what kind of issue would you chose and why?

The Game
If Player A requests a scene in episode 01, like this:

Focus - character scene
Location - shooting range
Agenda - instructor tries to bully him

How would you frame this scene? Would that be an appropriate agenda? What makes an appropriate agenda?

---

I assume that many of those questions will work themselves out during play. But I'd like to at least have a firmer understanding of the game to be able to answer questions from the players, since "do what sounds fun" doesn't seem to help them any.
Five tons of flax!
I started a theory blog in German. Whatever will I think of next?

Chris Goodwin

Some possible issues:  

* Can I make it through this incredibly difficult and nerve wracking training?  

* I need to prove that I am worthy of being an agent; it's possible my father pulled strings to get me in here

* Is this really what I want to do with my life?  Being an agent is a huge responsibility; can I live up?

QuoteHow would you frame this scene? Would that be an appropriate agenda? What makes an appropriate agenda?

That would be an appropriate scene agenda for characters with any of the issues I brought up, but the exact framing of the scene would depend on which one.  For instance, in the first one, the "bullying" would be some heavy psychological work to either prove to the trainee that he's got what it takes or to weed him out.  For the second, it would be actual bullying and sneering; so this guy was born with a silver 9mm in his holster, and if it gets too hard he's going to run to da-ddy.  For the third, it would be a metaphorical kick in the ass to either get with the program and stop brooding, or leave.
Chris Goodwin
cgoodwin@gmail.com

Danny_K

Quote from: Joe Dizzy
1. What else would you want to flesh out? What kind of criteria would play a role?

2. What would be appropriate issues for this show? Or rather, if you were one of the players.. what kind of issue would you chose and why?

The Game
If Player A requests a scene in episode 01, like this:

Focus - character scene
Location - shooting range
Agenda - instructor tries to bully him

3. How would you frame this scene? Would that be an appropriate agenda? What makes an appropriate agenda?

1. I'd want to discuss some reference shows.  How "realistic" is this show going to be?  Are the trainees likely to be thrown into dangerous situations with no backup?  Are there dangerous terrorists out there like in 24?  And how realistically are the characters supposed to act?  It's important for the players to know if they can get away with being Hollywood cops, or if they're supposed to be realistic cops who worry about things like lawsuits, writing reports, and so on.  

2.  All of the Issues that Chris mentioned, plus maybe "I've got a secret -- can I get through training without anyone finding out?"  The secret could be a drug problem, being gay, or being a sleeper agent, whatever.

3. Figure out who's going to be there (all the players, or just A?)  Remind yourself of what A's Issue is, and frame accordingly.  I'd also see about putting some Edges or Contacts in there -- if A has a Contact who's a cute red-headed instructor that he flirts with, maybe she should be around to see A triumph or be disgraced?  

It's hard to get too specific without an actual game and actual characters to work with, but I'd probably start the scene in media res, with the trainees already at the firing range for a while, and possible tensions rising as the instructor keeps having them practice a certain difficult task.  Then let the players go, and keep stirring the shit with a big ol' spoon.
I believe in peace and science.

Matt Wilson

Hey Joe*

I'm following along, but I'm gonna just watch a bit and see what other people say.

Except to say this: I personally wouldn't assign numbers to a story arc until I knew what the issue was.

*Where you goin' with that gun in your haaaand?