News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Capes review up at RPG.net

Started by matthijs, April 29, 2005, 10:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyLB

Phew!  My hosting-folks got the web-site back up just in time, I guess.

For what it's worth (and especially before anyone leaps to "defend" me from Matthijs's wholly informed opinion) I think the review rocks.  Matthijs was very sweet about checking it with me, and seemed (to me at least) to be all nervous about what I would think.  But hey, I (a) made a game that is all about how people can productively disagree about what they want, and (b) made a game that I knew some people wouldn't like.  So I figure, he's thought through what the game's good for and what it's bad for, and expressed that.  You can't ask for more than that.

If you're putting out your own game, I strongly recommend sending him a copy to review.  He's solid and professional.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

matthijs

Hey, thanks :)

I wasn't all that nervous about what you'd think - but I am still uncertain whether I've grokked Capes. To me, at least, it's a difficult beast: It looks just like the games I usually play and, but then suddenly it doesn't do what I expect it to do at all, and I disconnect with the SiS. Like someone put a gyroscope in my steering wheel.

I'm following the many Capes threads with interest.

matthijs

Oh - and right now, the review isn't accessible from the link on the RPG.net front page - so this is practically a Forge exclusive preview :)

Larry L.

It is always nice to see a review on that site where the reviewer has actually tried to play the game.

matthijs

I don't always play them. A lot of games are simple derivatives of other games, differing only in setting details and choice of character templates etc. Capes, DitV, Uni - these you have to try to understand them. (I know I promised a Uni actual play review - however, I have very little time these days, and have to prioritize reviews where I get a comp copy over those where I bought the game).