News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[DitV] Raw Deal for Complicated History

Started by Darren Hill, May 04, 2005, 10:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Hill

Look at the Strong History and Strong Community backgrounds:
Background:--- Str. Comm.---|Str. Hist.
Traits:------------1d4 3d6 2d8 |3d6 4d8 3d10
Relationships:--4d6 4d8 3d10|1d4 3d6 2d8

Notice how similar they are - swap the Traits and Relationships and there's only a 1d6 difference (both have 13d6 stats).
Essentially they are identical, but the History-based character has 1d6 removed from Traits.

Then compare the Complicated backgrounds (both have 15d6 stats):
Background:-------- Comp. Comm|Comp. Hist.
Traits----------------------- 6d6 2d8|4d4 2d6 2d10
Relationships: 4d4 2d6 2d8 2d10|5d6 2d8
If we take the Community based characters, and swap Traits and Relationships, then compare to the History, we find:
a) The Community based character has gained a d6 Trait (the Community character gained a d6 Relationships, so that's the same net gain).
b) The History character has lost 2d8 Traits!

Does this seem a little strange?
[edited to correct values above]

lumpley

I don't really follow your "if we swap" thing. But if you're saying that the "complicated history" character has fewer dice on her character sheet than the "complicated community" character, you're absolutely right.

Browse backward in this forum for threads on the subject. You'll find several. Come back with questions!

-Vincent

Darren Hill

Quote from: lumpleyI don't really follow your "if we swap" thing. But if you're saying that the "complicated history" character has fewer dice on her character sheet than the "complicated community" character, you're absolutely right.

Browse backward in this forum for threads on the subject. You'll find several. Come back with questions!

-Vincent

What I'm saying is that there seem to be two related pairs that ought to be balanced against each other - the Strong pair do seem to be, the Complicated ones don't.
I'll have a look but I have been through this entire forum (just reading the DitV posts) and can't remember seeing anything related to this point - any pointers?