News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[DitV] The Deluge continues - Healing

Started by Darren Hill, May 04, 2005, 04:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Hill

So there we were at the end of the session - after the last conflict, one player had minor fallout, another had 6d10+4d6+about 8d4, and the last had 4d6+9d10 fallout.
The last one there got lucky - a result of 14. But it didn't help, since his Body roll failed, and he rolled up to 16+: needs medical attention.
The other one got 18, and needed medical attention.

The medical attention rules say this:
Quote from: The Good Book
- Your friend rolls your Body plus his own Acuity. I roll all of your Fallout Dice again, plus the town’s Demonic Influence.

So there I was rolling the fallout dice (plus demonic influence), and thinking...
Did my players go overboard in taking fallout?
Do your players survive fallout like that?

Also, in a situation like this, is it possible for other people to help, and if so, what dice do they roll?

lumpley

Short answer:

6d10+4d6+about 8d4 Fallout? 4d6+9d10? Yeah, those are characters in a bad way.

Some groups have to be coaxed upward into taking enough fallout to get experience. Other groups have to learn the hard way to let some conflicts go, instead.

If your players are taking that kind of Fallout routinely, you're making your conflicts too big. Choose stakes that the players can stand to lose.

-Vincent

Darren Hill

Quote from: lumpleyShort answer:
If your players are taking that kind of Fallout routinely, you're making your conflicts too big. Choose stakes that the players can stand to lose.

-Vincent

I hope they won't be taking that kind of fallout too regularly! I think it was mainly due to the first session, not knowing just how serious fallout can be. The good thing: it was a one-off, so they aren't too attached to their characters - next time they'll be a bit more careful (I hope!) :)
I'm reassured that such fallout totals aren't meant to be easy to survive.

A related question: when you give up a character and start a new one, you get that nifty d6 bonus. Does it apply if your character dies, or do you have to start from scratch?
That could be a bummer in a mega-session campaign.

lumpley

It applies if your character dies.

-Vincent

Joshua A.C. Newman

Quote from: demiurgeastarothSo there we were at the end of the session - after the last conflict, one player had minor fallout, another had 6d10+4d6+about 8d4, and the last had 4d6+9d10 fallout.

I had a similar situation - Dogs (or the local setting's version thereof) stepped literally into the middle of a shootout. The inevitable happened.

What we wound up discovering were the healing properties of their regalia. Bring the Dog's coat, Sacred Earth, or whatever, into play! If there's supernatural, bring it in! Tear a piece off her Coat to use as a bandage! Cauterize with gunpowder from her Guns!

It turned out to be a really interesting conflict for us. It was a total stretch and we really got to see the characters sweat to save each other.

Quote from: The Good Book
- Your friend rolls your Body plus his own Acuity. I roll all of your Fallout Dice again, plus the town's Demonic Influence.

So there I was rolling the fallout dice (plus demonic influence), and thinking...
Did my players go overboard in taking fallout?

Also, in a situation like this, is it possible for other people to help, and if so, what dice do they roll?[/quote]

Other people can help. It's a regular ol' conflict. I had the town doctor aiding with another character playing her(just so I didn't get the dice all confused). Had the other PC not also been shot to shit, he'd have been aiding, as well.
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.

Darren Hill

Quote from: nikola
Quote from: demiurgeastaroth

Also, in a situation like this, is it possible for other people to help, and if so, what dice do they roll?

Other people can help. It's a regular ol' conflict. I had the town doctor aiding with another character playing her(just so I didn't get the dice all confused). Had the other PC not also been shot to shit, he'd have been aiding, as well.

Yeah, but what do they roll?
The normal healing conflict is: roll patient's body + healer's acuity.
If 2nd person help, does he also roll patient's body + his own acuity (which seems very strange), or does he roll his own body + acuity, or just acuity, or just give 2d6 bonus as if he was turning the healer into a Group?

Darren Hill

Quote from: lumpleyIt applies if your character dies.

-Vincent

Excellent :)

Joshua A.C. Newman

Quote from: demiurgeastarothYeah, but what do they roll?
If 2nd person help, does he also roll patient's body + his own acuity (which seems very strange), or does he roll his own body + acuity, or just acuity, or just give 2d6 bonus as if he was turning the healer into a Group?

We rolled it as a Physical (non-fighting) conflict for the doctor. Into that came the doctor's relationship with the characters (developed in the previous town), her I'm What Passes For A Doctor Round Here trait, and Acuity + Heart. Mostly, she Aided the PC who was doing the healing.

Darren Hill

Quote from: nikola
Quote from: demiurgeastarothYeah, but what do they roll?

We rolled it as a Physical (non-fighting) conflict for the doctor.

Isn't that a liitle generous, given that the healing rolls don't quite use the normal scheme?
For instance, the active healer might have a higher body than the person he's healing, and so doesn't get to use his full dice (of course, he may have less).
On first reading the healing conflict example, I did have the amusing idea: "I escalate to gunfighting!"
I love that I'm What Passes For A Doctor Round Here trait, by the way :)

Joshua A.C. Newman

Quote from: demiurgeastarothIsn't that a liitle generous, given that the healing rolls don't quite use the normal scheme?

It was a near thing. Two healers using all their arcane knowledge and improvised medical supplies still only came up a couple of dice higher than what I had.

QuoteFor instance, the active healer might have a higher body than the person he's healing, and so doesn't get to use his full dice (of course, he may have less).

Well, statistically, this is a wash.

QuoteOn first reading the healing conflict example, I did have the amusing idea: "I escalate to gunfighting!"

Yeah, I've thought along those lines, too. You sure could use Ceremony.

QuoteI love that I'm What Passes For A Doctor Round Here trait, by the way :)

Thanks! She was pretty much the town matriarch, but she turned out to be a crap doctor.

Lance D. Allen

There are rules in the group NPC section that refer to an NPC joining the PC's side of a conflict. I'd use those rules, myself, and then maybe allow the NPC to throw in a few applicable traits.

I think it's +2d6 stat dice, and a 1d6 trait as the default, but my book's not handy.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Darren Hill

Quote from: WolfenThere are rules in the group NPC section that refer to an NPC joining the PC's side of a conflict. I'd use those rules, myself, and then maybe allow the NPC to throw in a few applicable traits.

I think it's +2d6 stat dice, and a 1d6 trait as the default, but my book's not handy.

Thanks, those are the rules I'll use for the future.