News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Possibility for first-time RPG developers; free publishing

Started by Remko, May 28, 2005, 11:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remko

Hi all,

I was reading something on a Belgium RPG site (www.mandragon.be), when I stumbled on a site which says it will publish your book freely. It's only interesting for beginning publishers I think (it has a payment of 8 percent over the netto price per book). But, it doesn't cost you a thing, so your risk is minimal.

Perhaps a solution for some...

I have seen only the Dutch website. I wanted to look at the American Version, but I couldn't view it due to site problems. Still, I'll provide the American link, since not too much viewers should be able to read the Dutch language ;). Publish America Link.
Remko van der Pluijm

Working on:
1. Soviet Soviet Politics, my November Ronnie
2. Sorcerer based on Mars Volta's concept album 'Deloused in the Comatorium'

Ben Lehman

Publish America is pretty well known as a scam in the book writing field.

Caveat Emptor.

yrs--
--Ben

Remko

Quote from: Ben LehmanPublish America is pretty well known as a scam in the book writing field.

Caveat Emptor.

yrs--
--Ben

Ok, I didn't know. I thought it could be an opportunity for people who didn't have the money to get their book published, but wanted it published anyway, so without taking much risk.

I haven't seen the contracts they've been talking about and such, so I didn't had the slightest idea how something like that would work.

Thanks for the info anyway.
Remko van der Pluijm

Working on:
1. Soviet Soviet Politics, my November Ronnie
2. Sorcerer based on Mars Volta's concept album 'Deloused in the Comatorium'

Justin A Hamilton

Yeah, sometimes things are just too good to be true.

MisterPoppet

You know, there always is Lulu. It's been mentioned several times in this forum. It's also free to publish your book there. However, you have to de most of the work (editing, layout, covers, marketing, etc.), they'll only print and distribute it. It's very good, though, with a lot of community support.

-Mister Poppet-

darrick

yeah, Lulu has worked well for me.  after an initial surge, lulu sells about 2 copies of my rpg Empire of Satanis per week.  marketing is probably the hardest/most time consuming.  although every once in awhile i can find people to review the game like gaming report and i just got this one from the Dunwich Herald:  http://home.comcast.net/~esox99/review_jun05.html

so if you were planning on doing the editing/layout yourself anyway, lulu has no upfront cost at all, unless you want an ISBN or other frills.

D

Ethawyn