News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Looking deeper into Intuitive Continuity

Started by Walt Freitag, March 12, 2002, 01:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

contracycle

Quote from: GB SteveRambling repsonse.

S taken to the extreme leads to ... nothing

No, just a non-game behaviour - readin history, climbing mountains, historical re-enactment.
Impeach the bomber boys:
www.impeachblair.org
www.impeachbush.org

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."
- Leonardo da Vinci

contracycle

Quote from: Mike Holmes
I tried to come up with a term for this earlier. Any worse and it'd be what I refer to as Joinerism. But assuming that they really are interested inthe game for the story produced, I'd be tempted to call them Dramatists. But that has too much baggage. Storyist? No. Receptionists? No, overlapping term. Lazy? No, we have to assume that this is a valid play style, as some GMs like these sorts of players.

Actorists? Getting better, but strong actor stancers probably want character control. Audiencism. Hmmm. Problems with the whole "Audience Stance", and not quite right. Passive Narrativism? Not really Narrativist, tho, which would be confusing. Audience Participationism. Wordy, but gets the idea across.

This is why I keep coming back to dramatism as a term.  I think strong actor play is good in this style of game as the players have a role in acting for one another and thus portraying a significant element of the experienced game - their own character.  It is also why I think the audience stance is valid - precisley because these players are in part approaching the game in much the same way they approach a movie or a novel.  They wish to be entertained.  They also enjoy the active and decisionmaking component, but primarily conceive of story as something that is experienced - and hence created by the GM (or RPG company).  I think the use of audience stance might be an indicator of dramatist play.
Impeach the bomber boys:
www.impeachblair.org
www.impeachbush.org

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."
- Leonardo da Vinci