News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Re-doing Bringing Down the Pain

Started by Andy Kitkowski, June 24, 2005, 03:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: dyjoots
Quote from: Vaxalon
QuoteThe new innate abilities are Endure (Vigor), React (Instinct), and Resist (Reason).

I'm confused about where these come in, during the conflict mechanics.

Or do they?

I would assume you use them to defend during BDTP if you are just defending (e.g. changing your intentions).

Yes, as well as situations like:

a) You're being tortured.
b) You have a flying-blade trap swinging at your head.
c) A sorcerer is trying to mind-blast you.

Basically, they're saving throws. I know, weak. I like 'em, though. They're useful, but just not that often.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Vaxalon

Actually, that's cool.

That makes the whole system more streamlined IMO.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Jeffrey Straszheim

Next question.  How does healing work?
Jeffrey Straszheim

dyjoots

Quote from: Jeffrey StraszheimNext question.  How does healing work?

Sorry to come back to this thread so late, but I was reminded of it while rereading the revised BDTP rules.  Anyway, from the description, Bruised goes away after one action, and bloodied goes away after the scene is over.  The only real lasting harm you can suffer is to be broken (or, well, "Finished!"), and healing that state involves repairing whatever situation has caused the damage.  This could be as simple as a single action, such as giving a convincing apology, overcoming your embarassment, or having a healing spell targeted at you.  

It could be more complex, but it seems like there is no longer any need for complicated healing rules.  If you do something that would cause the harm to be negated, then it is.  This seems to fit well with the goal/intention-oriented mechanic.

Then again, I could be wrong.  The above also assumes that the "health levels" of harm taken disappear after a given BDTP, which could have an effect on play that I'm not seeing.
-- Chris Rogers