News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Non-Gloranthan Magic

Started by Tom B, June 25, 2005, 04:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Holmes

QuoteClearly in HQ it is possible to learn some magic from different traditions at a basic level. I have no argument with that, and that's not what I'm talking about. But even that is extremely rare, even for people within a single umbrella religion and they will never advance very far. I don't think that's a result of a game mechanical anomaly (double cost), but because the extra cost genuinely reflects the extreme difficulties of trying to reconcile fundamentaly different ways of thinking about the world.
Well, I think this is the subject at hand. Whether or not a non-Gloranthan society could be set up such that there would be no general restriction on performing wizardry as an adjunct to theism as the primary religion.

I think the question of whether or not this would be hard on the person practicing or rare is a matter for the person developing the culture in question. But given that you seem to accept that it can happen in principle, that satisfies me. The rest is details for Tom to figure out.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

simon_hibbs

Quote from: Mike Holmes on September 06, 2005, 04:05:16 PM
I think the question of whether or not this would be hard on the person practicing or rare is a matter for the person developing the culture in question. But given that you seem to accept that it can happen in principle, that satisfies me. The rest is details for Tom to figure out.

I think it's possible to some extent, but very hard simply due to the nature of what religions are.

Simon Hibbs
Simon Hibbs

Tom B

Much to think on.

The place where my setting breaks apart from Glorantha is that there is not a religious component to Wizardry.  That makes it much more likely that a devout follower of a religion would still be able to access it, at least to some degree.

I can see where the sheer amount of devotion to Wizardry that would be required at higher levels of ability would preclude devout followers advancing within their religion from advancing far in Wizardry.  With the one exception of the deity devoted to magic.  But then, I have a few ideas on that front should it come up.

So, I can see people advancing far in either Wizardry or within the heirarchy of their religion...but not both.  It's too time-consuming on both fronts.

Mike Holmes

As I mentioned, Tom, the mechanism already exists in the game to accomplish what you want to do. That is, to get to be, say, a devotee, you have to concentrate. Meaning you wouldn't be able to use wizardry. If you elect to be an initiate, and then also become, say, an Adept (which doesn't require concentration), you are then limited by the fact that since you aren't concentrated, you have to pay double costs for everything.

And this is all to say nothing of in-game barriers. You can always put challenges in front of characters who attempt this sort of thing to represent the difficulties that Simon is talking about. So between the mechanics and the in-game challenges, I think you have plenty available to support your vision.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.