News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Any Programmers out there?

Started by davidJ, June 29, 2005, 08:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidJ

Greetings,

I know how to build a semi-decent website, but semi-decent isn't good enough for me. So, with this in mind, I'm wondering if anyone out there can code a website, what you charge, and if you have an online portfolioi I can look at?

thanks!

greyorm

That's part of what I do for a living. My portfolio right now isn't extensive, as most of the sites I have worked on have been taken over by other webmasters and I can't rightly claim them as examples any longer. I work mainly with HTML/PHP and have been moving towards CSS-based layouts.

I charge anywhere from $25 to $50 an hour for design work (less for simple maintenance/gruntwork), plus possible other charges depending on the intended number of pages, desired site layout, graphic work, additional features (Flash, databases, etc). I hear I'm actually on the cheap end.

If you're interested, we can chat more. I won't charge for a couple e-mails discussing what you're looking for and working out a deal for it.
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Andrew Cooper

I'm also a programmer by trade.  My current job is with a software development company that does large, corporate web design using ASP Classic, ASP.NET, JavaScript, etc.  I am well versed in PHP and other web technologies as well.

I generally charge about the same as greyorm for services.  It really depends on the time and difficulty of the project.  I'm also NOT a graphic artist.  While I'm pretty good at image manipulation via Photoshop, I am not very good at artistic work designed whole cloth from scratch.  I'd be willing to chat with you as well.  I'd even be willing to collaborate with another developer or artist to do the work, should that be something you want to consider.

davidJ

Hey guys!

Yeah I'm interested in talking more with you guys  about this project. I was just quoted at 5 grand by another programmer for this project.

Needless to say, I'm not able to pay anywhere near that much. Here's a transcript of what I was asking him to quote me on. It should give you guys an idea of what I'm looking for.

Main Page/web site
I've gone ahead and broken up this section into four main elements that I am concerned with.

Design Elements
•   Function
•   Bandwidth/Traffic
•   Ease of Administration
Function:

Optimally, I'd like this website to be driven by flash/xml. But I am also happy with an Html/php version It should look great in all screen resolutions. I would like it to be a dynamic website with a shout box feature on the main page someplace, forums, that auto-mailing feature that you use on your website, where a user can type in a message an it automatically emails you (and a response to them as well).

I would also like to have visitors be able to create an account and login, so that "members" of the site can receive special discounts and have access to gaming related materials that non-members don't get. If the membership function can be some sort of Pay-membership (through Paypal), I would like to be able to make that happen.

In terms of site structure, I'm not well-versed in technical jargon, but in addition to the Membership function, I'll need a downloads section where any user can download certain  types of can download content, such as product demos. I'll need to be able to link to other sites where users can buy my materials (Drive-thru RPG, RPGNOW.com, etc) directly from the product listing on my website.

Example:

Product "Official guide to Antagonists"
Description of product:
Blah blah blah stuf stuf stufff
ISBN
Release date
Buy now
Users should be able to click  on the Buy now button and be taken to the appropriate website. I anticipate having multiple links (and eventually selling from the site directly), so  each product might need more than one "buy now" button.

I'd like space on the main page where I can spotlight a product ( Those functions that have an image greyed, and then on a mouseover they get clear would be cool ). I'll also need a general "product areas" that are sorted by type, such as Adventures, game supplements, etc etc.  I'll need a general "news" section. I'll also need an area that tells people about the company and everyone involved with it.  I think that is it as far as what the site needs as far as structure.

Bandwidth/Traffic
I anticipate having a large number of visitors to the website (Don't all starting business owners want that though? :) ), so obviously it needs to handle traffic. I'm not sure, but I've heard that Flash is hard on people with dialup. Is this true? I don't want to drive away potential customers who don't have Broadband/dsl.

Administration

In general, I need to be able to update the site regularly. I don't know Flash though, so if this will cause issues with how it is built, then perhaps we will have to discuss that further. If we need to go a different route with coding, that's fine,. But I need to be able to update it.

Clinton R. Nixon

The connection's been made. Anyone wanting to work with David, take it to private messaging. Thanks.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games