News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Games For G.I.s

Started by Zachary The First, June 30, 2005, 02:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zachary The First

Hey guys, my website has started a program called Games For G.I.s. We're working with various companies in the RPG and Gaming industry to provide care package for military gamers and their units stationed overseas. These care packages will be full of new and gently-used RPGs, dice, CCGs/TCGs, games, and more! So far, we have about a dozen companies on board, with plenty of RSVPs still to come (we just started out).

Anyhow, I know I've talked to some military folks on the board, so if you know of someone who is overseas who'd like to recieve one of our care packages, request more information about our needs list, or wish to personally donate something to our cause, email me at zacharythefirst@hotmail.com.  Thanks so much!

For a full press release and more, visit:

http://rpgblog.typepad.com/rpg_blog/2005/06/games_for_gis.html

QuoteGreetings,

At RPG Blog, we've undertaken a new and extremely worthwhile project: Games For G.I.s. We've started gathering both new and (gently) used games and gaming materials for care packages to go to deployed military gamers and their units in  Iraq, Afghanistan, and other forward areas around the globe.

We are compiling a list of our Armed Forces gamers and their units from friends and family. It's our mission to provide a nice care package full of books, dice, games, and other goodies to everyone on our list. To do this, we need help, both from individuals and companies in the gaming realm. Whether it's just few books, dice, minis, trading cards, or a game, you'll have done your part to make an unpleasant place a little brighter for some truly wonderful people.

If I may speak in terms of personal experience for a minute, I myself was deployed overseas, away from my loved ones last year, and one of the things that made it all bearable was the nightly RPG we started up. I'm trying to bring that same "safety valve" to folks over there right now.

We are currently at an address where we can ship all care packages through military means free of charge. If you'd like to find out more making a contribution or volunteering, or if you'd like a copy of our needs list, I may be contacted at zacharythefirst@hotmail.com. Additionally, if you have a friend or loved one you'd like added to our care package list, contact us, and we'd be happy to do so.

The address and central distribution point to send your contributions is:

Games For G.I.s
   c/o Zachary Houghton
   PSC 62 Box 6902
   APO AE 09643

Remember, this is not only a way to make life a little better for some amazing folks, but these products might be a serviceman or woman's first look at an RPG or TCG/CCG. I know in my tour of duty, we gained many new gamers after they sat in on a few sessions and began to play.

Our goal is to ship at least $2000 worth of care packages, and more if we can. This email has been sent out to over 50 movers and shakers of the RPG and Gaming industry—we hope all of you will help us help some very brave, deserving people. Games For G.I.s depends on all of us if it is to be a true success. Thank you for your time, compassion, and generosity.

Sincerely,

Zachary Houghton
   Editor, RPG Blog
   http://rpgblog.typepad.com
   zacharythefirst@hotmail.com