News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[GenCon 2005] Retailer handout?

Started by jrs, July 05, 2005, 11:35:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrs

Hi all,

Last month, I mentioned http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?p=167234#167234">here that I wanted to create a retailer handout for GenCon.  My idea is to produce a one-page consolodation of useful information about the games available at the Forge booth.  The handout would specifically target retailers and provide sufficient information for a retailer to get the games into his or her store.  I was thinking of a list of the games with pricing and contact information for the game designer and any distributors.  

So far, I have received two responses.  

I do consider participation optional, but two games is not sufficient to make a useful handout.  I'm thinking that there needs to be at least 50% representation for it to be worthwhile.  If you are interested in being included on such a handout, please let me know by July 13.  

Julie

Michael S. Miller

Hi, Julie.

I'm all for this, but don't know all of what retailers would want to know. Can you give us the kinds of information (not specifics, of course) that your two respondents have given you, along with what you recall of retailer questions of years past. I'd imagine you'd need at least:

Game Name:
Creator Name:
Cover Price:
Retailer discount (at the booth):
Retailer discount (post-GenCon):
Other terms (minimum order, etc.):
Who to contact post-GenCon (Creator's e-mail, Key20, etc.):
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

jrs

Michael,

What you list is pretty much what I had in mind.  I also think a small physical description would be useful--dimensions, pagination, soft/hard cover, extra components, etc.

At the past two GenCon's, the retailer questions that I received were along the lines of "How do I get these games in my store?"  Usually I referred these questions to individual game authors (if present and not occupied) or gave them cards (if available).  I know of one retailer when told she would have to consult each creater, simply gave up and left.  This is what gave me the idea of a handout.  I don't know that it will result in any more sales, but I don't think it could hurt.

Julie

p.s. I do not need exact details right now, I'm only trying to determine interest among the game sellers at the booth.  If you claim interest, I will either cull information from your website or personally hound you for the information needed.

Ron Edwards

"Interest" for sure. Count me in, Julie.

Best,
Ron

Paul Czege

p.s. I do not need exact details right now, I'm only trying to determine interest among the game sellers at the booth. If you claim interest, I will either cull information from your website or personally hound you for the information needed.

I'm interested.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

lumpley

Keith Senkowski

Count me as  interested too.

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

Malcolm Craig

PMed Julie earlier, but just to say here I think this is a great idea.

Cheers
Malcolm
Malcolm Craig
Contested Ground Studios
www.contestedground.co.uk

Part of the Indie Press Revolution

daMoose_Neo

Michael has a good list, and to add to that:
Focus on-

A) Distribution: too many retailers at GenCon will only deal with their distributor. Had a LOT of folks saying to me last year "Yea, thats an awesome game, I'd love to carry it! Here's my card, let me know when Alliances carries the title."
For us, as alot of us deal with Key20, a good thing to do is emphasise that anything Key20 has can be ordered by nearly any distributor (Might be a good idea to get a list of eveyone Jason deals with to be certain). This year, I CAN say "Why yes, my products are available through Alliances. *grin*"

B) Support: Advertising, online support etc. GameBuyer kind of stuff.

I'll be producing my own mini-catalog with information so I won't be participating, but very cool ^_^
Nate Petersen / daMoose
Neo Productions Unlimited! Publisher of Final Twilight card game, Imp Game RPG, and more titles to come!