News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

DexCon!

Started by TonyLB, July 08, 2005, 06:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyLB

In case you haven't heard, Capes is going to have a major, major presence at DexCon (July 13-17, East Brunswick, NJ).

So far I'm getting absolutely nothing but good vibes off of the convention atmosphere.  We're coming in with a brand new Indie Games Explosion crew, and heavy tracks of gaming.  Capes is scheduled in non-primetime time-slots, by design... Given that I can't give personal attention to the 15+ person crowds that Luke Crane manages for his legendary Burning Wheel demoes, I'm not sweating the difficulty of filling slots.

Indeed, our "best" time-slot (thursday, 2-6) is apparently full already, on pre-registration alone.  Which is totally flattering.  How flattering, I'll have to wait and see... if it's all IGE folks then, y'know, love you guys but... well, it would be really cool if it's all people I've never heard word one from, who got the buzz by word of mouth independent of me.

Now if you are a Capes maven, and you worry about being shut out of the scheduled game slots... don't worry.  My main effort (as always) will be at the demo table.  In fact, I desperately want to get people around to the demo table, even when they've already seen/played/mastered Capes.  Why?  Because I have a fiendishly clever plan.

Back a few months ago at TerpCon, I managed to achieve (for one brief evening) a lovely Capes-demoing nirvana... I got so many people running in the system that I had to break off splinter groups to different tables, and have them run completely independently.

Now we probably won't have the type of table-space to create that sort of breeder reaction at DexCon.  But it made me notice that this is a game that attracts people mid-demo like few other games do.  Folks hear the excitement, and they want in immediately.  And the rules are light enough to explain as you go (even over and over).

So here's my fiendish plan:  Perpetual rolling demonstrations.  I would love to get two people demoing with me, and have a good chance that when one of them stands up from his seat at the table, someone is standing right behind him to fill that seat and keep the events rolling on.

I honestly don't see any theoretical reason why that game should ever stop.  I would be so totally keen to play that game at the demo booth from opening until closing every single day.

So, if you're at DexCon (and if you're not planning to be, you should) and you have some free time, come over to the booth and jump in on some Capes.  If there are enough people doing that, there will always be something fascinatingly convoluted and evocative for you to jump in on!
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Judd

I'll be there to demo Capes.  I'm bummed that I missed it at Dreamation somehow.

JimTheFly

I was at DexCon on Saturday and stopped by the Capes table a few times to watch things, including standing around for about 30-45 minutes (possibly more) at one point just watching and honestly hoping someone WOULD get up.  Things were just so fun and hilarious as I was watching.  If I didn't have a few tournaments, I probably would've tried to get in there and play at some point, but regardless, I got myself a couple pamphlets and will certainly keep this on my mind as something worth getting my hands on in the near future.  My friends and I would have far too much fun with it, I think. :)

TonyLB

Yeah, sorry about that.  My big failing at this con was actually summoning the energy to kick people out of their seats, then go out and recruit whole new people.  If you're at GenCon I should be much better at it by then.  If only because the Forge booth staff won't let me monopolize tables the way I did at DEX.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum