News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

What kind of GM/player am I?

Started by Asen G, July 10, 2005, 02:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asen G

I'd be really interested to know your opinion:). So, I enjoy...
Overplaying the other players-getting more XP, contributing more to the success and the athmosFEAR:), and so on... Gamist, right?
Good simulation-"realism" is a core notion in my worldview:). I'm trying to play a character, as realistic as posible for the given setting and campaign, making full use of my knowledge of history (as limited as it might be:)). As well, I'm really trying to play a character according to his/her worldvies, ethics and so on. And of course, exploring the setting...
And at the (narrativistic?:)) end, some of my characters are trying to change the world, often in the most dramatic way possible. Even when they are not, they are trying to act in a dramatic manner. So, am I a G, N or S player/ GM? :)
Waiting for your opinions...:)
A. :)
"The tree of knowledge bears the fruit of arrogance!"
D. Gemell, "White wolf"

Victor Gijsbers

We certainly can't say from this information. More importantly, nobody plays any of the Creative Agenda's in a "pure" way. Maybe you like to mix styles.

But if you want some kind of answer, what you should look for are actual situations in your games where you had to make a choice between the different priorities. If you could get either XP or play your character true to life, what would you do? If you could either contribute more to the success or highlight your character's thematic issue, what would you do? Don't try to answer these question in abstracto, look at actual choices you made and make during gaming. That's the only way to find out what you prefer.

(Well, there are other ways. Go and play some hardcore G, N and S games and find out what you enjoy more. It might be the case that you enjoy them all.)

Georgios Panagiotidis

"If I like to eat Pizza without any meat on it, does that make me a vegeterian?"
Five tons of flax!
I started a theory blog in German. Whatever will I think of next?

Asen G

Quote from: Victor Gijsbers1. Maybe you like to mix styles.

2. But if you want some kind of answer, what you should look for are actual situations in your games where you had to make a choice between the different priorities. If you could get either XP or play your character true to life, what would you do? If you could either contribute more to the success or highlight your character's thematic issue, what would you do? Don't try to answer these question in abstracto, look at actual choices you made and make during gaming. That's the only way to find out what you prefer.

3. (Well, there are other ways. Go and play some hardcore G, N and S games and find out what you enjoy more. It might be the case that you enjoy them all.)
1. Maybe. In fact, I wanted to ask whether it is possible.
2. These ones are simple, as I had already had to make these choices. I chose to play my character "true to life". I remember one character getting caught by the Inquisition, but not forfeiting his principles-and during the "interrogation", he found a solution to his thematic issue. Too bad he died shortly after, but it didn't matter anymore-he has been created for this issue only:).
3. It's not possible where I live. The RPG community is a small one and you can't find people willling to play anything you wish... Beside, usually I am the GM:).

Quote"If I like to eat Pizza without any meat on it, does that make me a vegeterian?"
No, it doesn't. But if you can't eat meat with or without Pizza, than you are a vegetarian...
A. :)
D. Gemell, "White wolf"

Trevis Martin

I'm looking at this topic with great hesitation.  I read a post on a blog not long ago that mourned the loss of the war of turning the creative agendas according to Ron's big model into identity politics.   That is, it is absolutely critical to understand that a person isn't Gamist, Narrativist or Simulationist.  There are no G, N or S people, there are only instances of play that are G, N, or S.  

Also remember that all three CA's take place in all games, just that two of them are usually subordinate to the third.  That said, you are looking to find out what it is you prefer predominately?  Self analysis is always a little tough.  You might need to think back over your expeience in playing and GM ing and ask yourself what motivated your decisions most often.  Your breif anecdotes are not enough for people here to even form such an opinion. The people here have never played with you so we can't say.

I'm not sure it really matters, to ask what you have been.  It helps maybe, if your dissatisfied with your play or if you are haveing a conflict with the peopel you play with that you suspect comes from very different ideologies about what is important in a game.  If you're trying to see where your preferences lie, the easiest way is probaby to play games that emphasis one of those three agendas and see how they go.  If you're the only GM then certainly you could talk freinds into trying out a couple of new things with you.

Yes, it is possible to enjoy more than one style of play.I know I've found I can enjoy all three agendas when I understand that that's what the game is beng played for.  I admit that my deepest liking is for Narrativist games, games where I have the chance to put my own answer, through my character, to the situation at hand.  But I have enjoyed other types of play too.  It's when these things get mixed up that it can be painful.

best,

Trevis

Asen G

Quote from: Trevis Martin
1. Also remember that all three CA's take place in all games, just that two of them are usually subordinate to the third.  That said, you are looking to find out what it is you prefer predominately?  

2. Self analysis is always a little tough.

3. I'm not sure it really matters, to ask what you have been.  It helps maybe, if your dissatisfied with your play or if you are haveing a conflict with the peopel you play with that you suspect comes from very different ideologies about what is important in a game.

4. Yes, it is possible to enjoy more than one style of play.I know I've found I can enjoy all three agendas when I understand that that's what the game is beng played for.

best,

Trevis
!. Yes, I'm looking for my "dominant" preference. The problem is, so far I have been unable to identify it-as I said, I enjoy all three, so which one is the "main" one?
2. Exactly! That's why I am asking for "third party opinion":).
3. Again, you are right-I believe thatsoon, there might be a conflict with a friend of mines, because of "different ideologies" (so I am trying to find out the reason to avoid it). Aside from it, I'm trying to better understand the "GNS" theory by applying it to myself. I just liked it:).
4. Well, maybe I am a similar case. I just misunderstood the article on the site (my most humble apologies, then)-I believed you mean everybody enjoys one given style of play.
Thanks for your time,
Asen.
D. Gemell, "White wolf"

Ron Edwards

Hi Asen,

You might be interested in this thread: One opinion on why and how GNS matters.

Best,
Ron

ewilen

I was thinking of adding onto this thread based on Trevor Martin's post but I think a new thread might be better. So that's what I'm going to do in a thread entitled GNS Conflict and Identity Politics.

Edit--Um, make that "Can GNS modes be identified outside of GNS conflict?"
Elliot Wilen, Berkeley, CA

Asen G

Quote from: Ron EdwardsHi Asen,

You might be interested in this thread: One opinion on why and how GNS matters.

Best,
Ron
Thank you, Ron! It proved to be helpful indeed!
Now, I'll take the time to read the new topic...
Best,
Asen!
D. Gemell, "White wolf"