News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

I know what I want I just can't seem to get it.

Started by Seth M. Drebitko, July 10, 2005, 03:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth M. Drebitko

First I will explain my mechanic and then my problem that I am having.

For task resolution you must roll 5 d6+a number equal to the relative Turning Points value. When rolling you try and arrange the dice in numerical value starting at 2 (one is automatically given to you). If say you reach 6 or do not have a die coordinating to a needed value you may stack dice together to form the value. To determine success your base score is the final number in your string, plus any positives, and your goal is to beat a specific difficulty rate.
Example: John Swings his sword in a mighty arc rolling 5 dice plus 2 for his knight of Malta turning point. He rolls 1, 1, 2, 2, 4, 5, 5, 6. This would then be arranged, 2, a 1 and 2 would become 3, 4, 5, 6. The GM decides that the score of 6 was far more than needed to take down a tree and provide a temporary bridge for escape.

Turning points are fixed at character creation and act as the closest thing to stats. These can be ranked up to any number, the GM can set a cap on things though if he wishes. When picking Turning points at character creation you will follow your character through the course of his life up until the point the game begins. Turning points will be those things that became very prominent in the characters life over time, such as strong, knight of Malta, sneaky, special forces.
Example: John started his life a young peasant working on his fathers farm but put very little care into the actual tending of things so john assigns his first turning point Strong. Over the course of many years John was not content it the farm life and so he snuck off in a traders wagon passing by one day, john now assigns sneaky to his character. Stopping at a small fortress city John submits his life to the Knights of Malta, and king of their lands, thus Knights of Malta becomes another turning point. During a long hard siege John proves his valor time and time again, and takes yet another ranking his Knights of Malta turning point. After a minor rebellion in the kingdom sets off a devastating chain of rouge knighthood's turning against their king John casts down the banner of the knights of Malta to stand by his king and is placed in a special unit used to make quick specialized assaults and retreat, he will take his last turning point special forces.

Stunts are another thing not mentioned above because well they are what I am having a problem with. I have made some choices with them however they will be certain specialized actions that the character was prepared to have to use. For every turning point you will get 4 stunt points to spread out to stunts that relates to your various turning points and will provide bonuses to actions and such. If during a session the character needs to switch things up he may change all his stunts to make a new list but with one less stunt point per change a session to show that you are now preparing things that your character had no plans on having to prepare to do.

Here is my big problem I don't know what the best way to treat stunts as would be. At the moment the only thing I can think of is adding a number of dice to an action that relates to a stunt based on that stunts value. I would like to see something more than that however so that characters can create special signature "moves" that they perform on a regular bases or things of that nature if anyone has any suggestions on how these could be handled I would appreciate that. Alright if I think of anything for them i will also post it up thanks for any help.

Seth
MicroLite20 at www.KoboldEnterprise.com
The adventure's just begun!

GregStolze

My very first take on this is that dice handling is pretty involved.  That may be a bug or a feature, but it's definately something to keep in mind.

Let me see if I understand this correctly: I'm trying to assemble strings of numbers out of the dice in my d6 pool, which is always 5d6 + Turning Point.  The highest number I can string to is my result, and I can combine dice to bridge gaps.  

So, if I have no applicable Turning Point when trying to, uh, make lobster bisque, I roll 5d6.

If I get 1,2,2,5,6 I'm kind of boned.  I can go 1,2, but I can't assemble a 3, so my 5 and 6 are wasted.

If I roll 1,2,2,2,3 on the other hand, I'm set.  I can combine a pair of 2s into a 4 and get all the way up to 4.

What's interesting about this is that there aren't any results that intrinsically suck (the way a natural 1 does in d20).  All results have situational value -- that 1 may be just what you need to add to some other number and bridge a gap.

What may take this sytem in an interesting direction would be installing a "floor" to your roll.  Initially, I misread how it works and thought Turning Points worked like this: If you have a skill at 3, it means you start assembling your string at 3 instead of needing a 1.  ('Cause let's face it, if at least one die doesn't turn up a 1, you fail no matter how badass you are.  Right?)  So, if I had "Cordon Bleu Chef 3" and got that first roll, I could start at 3, stack the pair of 2s into a 4, then go to 5,6.  

By the same token, putting a "bridge" in -- some factor that always provides a set number -- would be useful, though not as good as a floor or a Turning Point.  So, if I had a whisk that worked as a 1 bridge, that first roll would still be better because I could use the whisk for 1, a natural 2, combine a 2 with the 1 for 3 -- I'm at least up to 3, a point higher than I would have been.  

Hey, now you've got three different ways to amp up your result.  Turning Points to broaden the pool of possibly-desirable results.  Floors to provide a minimum success, and bridges to cover up the occasional gap.  If you need a fourth, you can just include some factor that, after you've strung together as much as you can, adds +1 or +2 or whatever to your final result.  

-G.

...in Spaaace!

Seth M. Drebitko

I had thought more on the getting screwed easy and think I found some ways to fix the problem

One thing that has given better results is that when creating your string act as though you already have a one.

Second will be that when making your string if you place a dice above on of the d6 you will add the numbers to fill a gap, if you place  a dice below you will subtract to fill the gap.

One idea I have for stunts is that there will be two types bonuses that will be strait forward "skills" that will add a d6 if it fits. The second type will be effects which will go beyond just adding a d6 you will be able to determine the cost dependant on how much it could effect the plot.

One way to watch for characters with a couple really powerful effects or skills is that the player will have to form a stair case going from low ranking skills to high ranking ones.
A skill/ effect chart may look like this.
MicroLite20 at www.KoboldEnterprise.com
The adventure's just begun!