News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

GenCon promo idea

Started by Larry L., July 18, 2005, 01:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry L.

How's this sound:

Limited edition GenCon Click-and-Locks

Yes, I know anyone can just punch the data into the Flash and make high-quality C&Ls. Yes, I know that these "ultra-rare" items won't actually offer any in-game advantage. But I think if you hand out laminated C&Ls, it might be a cool way to draw people to demos. "I got this little 'Atomic Freak' card with funny prongs on it, what do I do with this?"

TonyLB

I'm not sure about handing them out unused.  The fun of the Click and Locks is seeing them connected.

Here's what I was thinking, tell me what you think.  I have this cartridge that came with my Xyron, which is just permanent adhesive.  No lamination, no repositioning, just STICK.  I don't really have a heck of a lot of use for it... yeah, my son sometimes likes to make stickers, but other than that.

So I was thinking that I would just create a lot of click and locks, on differently colored paper stock (orange for powers, grey for skills, or whatever).  And then when people come in for a demo I'd whip out this huge pack of click and locks and say "Grab what you want, stick it to this piece of paper, make a character in pencil and take it away with you!"

And, of course, the little pieces of paper have to have "Come check out Capes, the Superhero roleplaying game with heart, at the Forge, Booth whatever" prominently on the back.  Because most of these slips are going to go out into the convention and get lost, dumped on tables, tossed on the floor, etc.... but they just look so incredibly cool that they're good advertising even as trash.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Larry L.

I thought I had posted a reply to this. Site glitch?

TonyLB

Well, I certainly didn't remove any replies.  And nobody else should be able to.  So... yeah, site glitch.  Can you rewrite?

Larry L.

Well, I'm under the impression that "exclusive limited edition" cards handed out at cons are a common marketing technique for CCGs, and it had occurred to me that Capes could also utilize this "fish food" approach. i.e. Somebody canvasses con and hands out item with "Come to Forge booth" directive on it. Then again, I never bought any of the games that go with those sundry cards I've got stashed in a drawer, so I can't speak to its effectivness.

So with your idea, nothing gets handed out until they show up and play a demo? But being congoers, they distribute garbage/advertising throughout the con, in this case used character sheets with C&Ls adhered?

Do these stickers have the peel-off backing on them?

DO put the game URL on there along with booth info, so folks who don't buy at the booth still have an active advertisment.

Stickman

While I think both are good ideas, the exclusive Click and Locks have me Jonesing for a trip to gencon. I might just take that idea of coloured paper for the C&L's too and go get me some ..

Dave
Dave

Larry L.

Tony, do you want some fan contributions for C&Ls LE?

TonyLB

I think I'm going to take a pass on the Limited Edition Click and Locks, at least for this go-round.  Even with fan contributions, there would be a lot of time-overhead on me to organize, and I don't really think I can spare it.  Time to GenCon is starting to look appallingly tight.  Thanks for the idea and the energy, though!