News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Dave's Sorcerer quickref project continues (long)

Started by Nev the Deranged, July 20, 2005, 08:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin A Hamilton

Quote from: Nev the Deranged on July 30, 2005, 12:18:47 PM
Riiiiight. And the reason you didn't just get the file from me like I offered is.... what then?
Because I didn't see you offering it originally, and I started putting it together in a pdf so that I could use it when the time comes.

Quote from: Nev the Deranged link=topic=16067.msg172409#msg172409 date=1122740327]Because trust me, your formatting, nice as it may be, is not as good as mine.
I'm not competiting with you.  I appreciate the work you did, and I was putting it together so that I could use it.  I was simply making a statement when you were asking if anyone had links of it compiled, I don't see why you are being so testy.  Sorry if I offended you or something.

Nev the Deranged

errr.... testy? Was I?

Um... sorry. Didn't mean to be. I was just trying to be helpful.

*crawls off in a corner to hide*

Justin A Hamilton

No, you are being helpful, I just didn't see the original statement to ask you for the file, so I was just saying that I made a pdf for my own purposes.

I really do appreciate your work, it's going to help out immensly tomorrow.

Nev the Deranged

Well I have to say, I've been pretty gratified by the steady stream of requests.

I just hope if there are any glaring errors, someone catches them and lets me know before I lead an entire generation of gamers astray. Or something melodramatic like that.

And fix notifications will be posted here and the updated version made available.

Nev the Deranged

Alrighty, I caught an error that I made whilst fixing another error. I had posted the fix here but apparently screwed up fixing it on the actual document. (Hmm.. no, actually I posted an incorrect fix here as well, but neither myself nor anyone else noticed. Wee.)

This is the current (incorrect) line:
2.9   Total Victory: If the number of victories exceeds the highest die showing in the loser's pool, it is considered a Total Victory (IE. Critical Success).

And this is the correction:
2.9   Total Victory: If every individual die face in the winner's pool is higher than the highest die showing in the loser's pool, it is considered a Total Victory (IE. Critical Success).

Someone please confirm that this wording makes sense and is not confusing (not to mention correct)?

I have made this change to the PDF and anyone who requests it from this point on will get the most recently updated version. Anyone who has already got theirs can either fix it themselves or request the newest version. It only takes me a second to send them out so it's no trouble.

Again, send any questions, comments, or most especially corrections, to me at nevthederanged@aol.com

D.

ScottM

Your correction looks right to me, though I wonder why you chose "die face" instead of die for your phrasing. It's clear either way, so good change.

Scott
Hey, I'm Scott Martin. I sometimes scribble over on my blog, llamafodder. Some good threads are here: RPG styles.

Nev the Deranged

Hm. Well at the time it seemed clearer to me, but reading it now it seems confusing.

Maybe something like "die value"?  Or do you think anyone likely to be reading it will be fine with just "die"?

I tried to make it idiot proof, as well as clear enough that non-gamers could use it, but I may have outsmarted myself in this case.

I'm certain most Forgites can figure it out, especially since the actual book itself is pretty clear on all that stuff, but I'd still like it to be as concise, accurate, and nonconfusing as possible.

Any suggestions, anybody?

Ron Edwards

Hi,

I usually say "value" or, somewhat awkwardly, "value showing on the die."

Best,
Ron

Karl

Hiya

Nice reference, thank you.

I think the section on Need and Desire should be expanded a little, and I think the character creation process should include a point on the Binding Ritual and consequent Humanity check. Something like the following perhaps?

Demon Need

A Demon is addicted to their Need. Meeting the Need allows the Demon to avoid being Banished (see Rule of Need). Often the Sorcerer must help to provide the Need: this concretises the Sorcerer's ongoing commitment to keeping the Demon around and, directly or indirectly, continuing to risk their Humanity. The Binding Ritual establishes, amongst other things, the specifics of this arrangement.

Demon Desire

Each Demon has goals, passions and inspirations unique to itself, and this Desire modifies or directs its relationship with other Demons, Sorcerers, and humans generally, in a campaign-specific way. A Demon's Desire is what is on its mind all the time, and it goes out of its way to meet its Desire whenever possible.

Initial Binding Ritual & Humanity check

A vitally important part of the character creation process is detailing the Binding Ritual between the Sorcerer and the Demon (and the player and the GM). This includes
+ working out the techniques of the Binding
   (including what stat to use in the Binding roll)
+ the specific consequences of the Binding
   (what Need, how often,
   in fact anything specific the Demon and/or Sorcerer are expected to do)
+ whether Need is met during the ritual
+ and anything else player or GM feels is appropriate
The reason why this PC wants to Bind this demon is very relevant to the discussion. The player should have access to the usual bonuses for the Binding roll.

And of course this particular Binding ritual, like any other Binding, entails a Humanity check.

Karl

Larry L.

By the way, if you e-mail Nev to ask him for a copy of this, be sure to say "please." He's apparently very sensitive to that sort of thing.

Thanks Nev.

ScottM

Or if you're looking to save Dave the hassle of emailing them to you, I've posted the quick reference (plus additional files that he was kind enough to send) here.
Hey, I'm Scott Martin. I sometimes scribble over on my blog, llamafodder. Some good threads are here: RPG styles.