News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Can you do EVERYTHING with an Extended Contest?

Started by lightcastle, July 21, 2005, 01:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simon_hibbs

Quote from: Mike Holmes on August 11, 2005, 01:33:33 PM
So you run more than one contest at once? How do these get started?

Frankly it's just the first example of a use for an unrelated action that popped into my head, but I can imagine it happening in play. I couldn't say if I've actualy had it happen in a game of mine - my memory fails me, perhaps Steve might remember - but I wouldn't be surprised.

Simon Hibbs
Simon Hibbs

Mike Holmes

Oh, I'll bet it's happened somewhere, sometime. The point, however, is that I think it's rare. That is, I don't think that the rule is really only about other contests. It would be an easy to administer rule, it's just not going to ever get used (only on the rare case of multiple contests, and then only if run in a particular way, and then only if the player cares to help out).

OTOH, maybe this should be more common? Might be worth thinking about.

What we're left with is just player whim to skip his round to do "something else."

What about the example in the book of augmenting? I can see that as a hard and fast rule. That is, if the narrator is going to rule that an augment needs to be rolled for, that this has to happen as an unrelated action.

LC, "guidelines" I have plenty of, and are what lead me to be interested in this question as they're not that useful. I want a relatively hard rule, and I think we can find at least a few cases that are unambigous.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.