News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A quick question on resources.

Started by clydesdale, July 29, 2005, 09:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clydesdale

Hey all. New member. Cheers and all of that.

I had a quick queston about resources in Capes. Who are they tied to, the characters or the players? My current understanding is:

Debt Tokens: Character
Inspirations: Player
Story Tokens: Player

But all the same, I just want to make sure I have this straight.

Rob.

TonyLB

Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

clydesdale

Wow. That's service! Thanks for the quick response.

Actually, another question just occured to me. (Humble apologies if it has been answered elsewhere) Let's say some of your super characters are in one of those wonderful interpersonal scenes. A picnic with his girlfriend or something. Whenever someone uses a non powered ability, it blocks for the rest of the scene. This means, unless another player chooses to play some kind of evil character in the interpersonal scene, our powered hero has at least 4 and at most 7 chances to change the dice before he has to start resorting to superpowered means. Is there an exception to this for non-combat scenes, or do you need to find creative ways to mask the fact that you're using superpowers to affect your goals on the date. (Or did I just miss something in the rules? That's also quite possible...)

Rob.

TonyLB

Nope, you've got it exactly right.  And yeah, it's strange.

This is why Clark Kent surreptitiously gets flowers from deepest darkest Africa rather than picking them up at the corner store.

It's also been found (pretty much by accident, actually) that many of the "super-powers" make for deadly conversational techniques.  "Exhaust your prey," "Predict prey's next move" and "Find weakness" make the Hunter power-set the reigning queen of this particular arena, but things like "Precision Strike" (Martial Artist), "Know weak points of any system" (Gadgeteer), "Fast enough to try another plan" (Speedster) and of course "Casually Overpower mortals" + "Inspire Awe" (Godling) also get a fair workout.

I keep recommending to my group that there's also this radical technique called "short scenes," but so far it's gone untried.  People get so much of a kick out of introducing new conflicts that they keep the scenes running long past the time that we spend all our check-off abilities.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum