News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[GenCon] Booth Monkey Demo Resources

Started by daMoose_Neo, July 22, 2005, 08:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daMoose_Neo

I was at a little bit of a loss after drawing up an Introduction/Summary sheet for my Imp Game, and seeing as how others, such as Ben w/ Polaris, have some resources as well, I was thinking a collected resource thread might be a good thing. So, here we go! Publishers, if you've got demo or resource material for folks available, put 'er up!

The Imp Game - http://www.neoproductions.net/imp/files/ImpGameGC.pdf (Page 2)
Imp Generation & Basics for running a game. Intro and refresher for play, but not a substitute for actually playing or the manual.

*Edit* Page 2 includes 5 scenarios to run, also from the back of the book. Touch of personal flavor (We need to get the Pendant of Foot-Fungus Removal from that band of Gypsies coming around the bend! Go!) and you're all set. Also remember the scenarios in the back of the book, theres about 20, if you decide you want a little bit more flavor. Imp is quick enough a few games under your belt and it'll be easier to come up with stuff on the fly.
I'll also have some pre-gen characters at GenCon, so the imp creation (simple though it is) can be skipped if desired.
Nate Petersen / daMoose
Neo Productions Unlimited! Publisher of Final Twilight card game, Imp Game RPG, and more titles to come!

TonyLB

I just finished up writing a yet-tighter set of demo advice for Capes.  Front page here, back page here.

At this point, I'm aiming for something that just hand-holds and reminds someone who has either read the rules elsewhere or (more likely) seen the rules in action sometime on Thursday as part of Ron's ominous and shadowy activities.  So, hitting the high points of the rules, and giving them lots of default/classic options at every stage, to help get past blank-page syndrome.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Ron Edwards

Hi there!

At this point, the very best thing a publisher can do to prep demos for GenCon is to make up a brief descriptive play-sheet. Be prepared for it to get altered during the activities, but simply trying your best at this point will definitely meet me (and everyone else) halfway, both practically for us and mentally for you. Don't get bogged down in seeking perfection. Focus on the reward mechanics or interactions. Again, be prepared for further development.

Clinton knows of my nefarious plans and has approved. Boo-ha! The power-structure stands prepared against foreign interference and native dissidence alike.

(I have to stop reading stuff about Felix Dzerzhinsky before going to bed at night ...)

Best,
Ron

Malcolm Craig

Quote from: Ron Edwards on July 23, 2005, 12:10:07 PM
(I have to stop reading stuff about Felix Dzerzhinsky before going to bed at night ...)

Oh no, it's off to the Lubyanka for us if we step out of line!

As regards demo resources, I'll be making mine available to all during the course of the week. Ran two very successful blind playtests today with groups who had never come across the game, which was pretty much the ideal situation. The first one really identified all the major faults and we spent about an hour in analysis nailing things down. The second one utilised the constructive criticism for the first and also highlighted a few smaller things in post-demo analysis. The second group went away with a feel for the game, an understanding of what they were doing and a feel for how the reward mechanic related to the theme of 'hope'. Furthermore, the first demo lasted 24 minutes, whilst the second one hit the mark almost exactly with a time of 20 minutes 34 seconds (accuracy due to stopwatch!)

I'll make a strong effort to integrate all of this (plus the advice from various Forgites, thank you one and all) and provide as much of a start for potential demo'ers as possible, as I do realise that a|state is one of the less familiar games being promoted at the booth this year.

Cheers
Malcolm
Malcolm Craig
Contested Ground Studios
www.contestedground.co.uk

Part of the Indie Press Revolution