News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Character creation and immersion

Started by Przemyslaw F. Szkodzinski, July 28, 2005, 05:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Przemyslaw F. Szkodzinski

Although I am posting this thread because I'm considering incorporating several ideas that I would like to discuss into a game I'm currently working on, I decided to do this under RPG Theory rather than Indie Game Design because the idea seems wide enough to be pondered upon on its own (and I'm really only at the beginning of the design process).

Since coming to the conclusion that the setting of the RPG I'm working on would require maximum immersion on the players' side in order to experience the game properly and that, quite ironically, in the beginning stages of the game there doesn't seem to be enough place for basic player-to-character immersion, I've been wondering how could the process of creating characters be used in order to help in achieving it. The basic "write your characters' background, what they are like etc. and now tell me how did you come to know each other" (I love how that was described in kill puppies for satan by the way) would suffice for most players, but is, sadly, impossible (the characters are supposed to be complete strangers).

So the academic problem arises: how to make players immersed in their characters from the very beginning of the game without any prior interaction between PCs? I know that experienced players would have no problem acting-out their characters' personalities, but I'm aiming for more emotional involvement.

One idea that came to my mind is running a separate opening vignette for each player - and as much as some people dislike such introductory miniature gaming sessions, I'm tempted to develop the idea further whilst making the character creation process out of it. During the vignette the player is asked to respond to certain situations presented to him by the GM in character (that would require the player to have at least the most basic of concepts as to what his character should be like), allowing the player to take the narrative stance at times (when describing the character's family, house-life and the like). While the vignette is in play, the GM notes down various personality traits, family relations or whatever is necessary for the sake of the game. If any statistics are required, they are based on the data gathered during the opening mini-session (possibly negotiable between GM and the player).

Such an approach would require some heavy-duty playtesting, but I hadn't had the opportunity lately. Do you, dear Forgers, believe that it would be playable? And would it be successful at what it attempts? Or maybe there already is a game that uses such a character creation system? Other ideas are also welcome, of course.
Is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?
- Marquis de Sade

Currently in development: King Rat; Your 120 Days of Sodom

Ron Edwards

Hello!

I have two ideas for you, one of which is very punchy but not too off-the-wall, and the other which is maybe off-the-wall depending on your experience and preferences.

1. Check out threads about the game Criminal Element (do a Forge search). The final step of character creation is for each player to deliver a monologue in character. Since the characters are cheap crooks and grifters who are all recently hired for a job, they don't know one another, and they tell each little jokes or personal histories just to break the ice. I've played the game, and it works very well.

2. Check out the game Everway, in which players have all chosen five colorful picture-cards as their starting step of character creation. Everyone does a few numbers and scribbles, and then each player is asked by all the other players something about the character, usually based on the cards. "Who is that guy?" regarding someone in the background, or "What do runes mean which your character is drawing?" and so on. Also extremely powerful - it connects the players about the characters, even though the characters do not know one another.

Best,
Ron

GB Steve

Quote from: Ron Edwards on July 28, 2005, 07:46:54 PM1. Check out threads about the game Criminal Element (do a Forge search). The final step of character creation is for each player to deliver a monologue in character. Since the characters are cheap crooks and grifters who are all recently hired for a job, they don't know one another, and they tell each little jokes or personal histories just to break the ice. I've played the game, and it works very well.
I concur. Marcus Rowland had us talk about our top 3 jobs when we played petty criminals in a Forgotten Futures game of his. This worked very well for setting the scene, getting into character and establishing the criminal pecking order.

In Dogs in the Vineyard, the last part of character creation is an Accomplishment scene. Each player in turn plays a short scene with the GM in which there is a conflict over some attempted accomplishment from their Dogs' apprentiship. Ostensibly this is a way of explaining the game's system but it also introduces the PC to the other players and creates immediate attachment between player and PC.

In case you haven't got Dogs, the accomplishment scene can end in failure (about 50% chance in my experience) but that's not a bad thing in Dogs terms. It's an interesting thing.