News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Polaris Pre-Order

Started by Ben Lehman, July 27, 2005, 12:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Lehman

Starting now, for the next three weeks or so, I will be accepting pre-orders for Polaris my rapidly forthcoming role-playing game.

I would like to get at least 15 pre-orders, which will cover printing costs for me, hopefully.  Here are some anticipated questions.

What is the first edition like?

This first print run of Polaris will be the All Men Are Brothers edition. It will be limited to 108 copies, each one will be numbered, and have the name of a protagonist from the novel All Men Are Brothers (aka Water Margin aka Outlaws of the Marsh) inscribed in the cover in both Chinese and English. All copies will be signed by me, either written in English or stamped in Chinese or both, depending on my whim and your preferences if you ask.

Exactly 106 copies will be available for sale (one goes to me, the other to my mother, the rest for sale.)

The books will be digest-sized, and around maybe 100-200 pages, depending on how layout goes.

If I pre-order, when will I get the book

I will be sending the books either right before GenCon or right after, so US customers can expect the books before the end of August.  International folks will get it before the end of September.

I'm going to be at GenCon.  Why should I pre-order?

Well, for one, you get the warm, fuzzy feeling of helping me out with printing costs.  But, in addition, pre-orders will allow you to select which book number you like, and also request various sorts of signatures and personal messages.

You can pre-order the book now and then pick it up at GenCon, if you like.

Why should I buy the game?

If you think you'll like it.  To make this more clear, see the teaser text on the website.

How much does it cost?

The pre-order price is $22, which includes free shipping anywhere in the whole wide world (even hand-delivery if you happen to live in Plainfield, Mass ; Indianapolis, IN ; Heidelberg, Germany ; or Helsinki, Finland.)

Do I get a copy for free?

Unless you are my mother, no.

Please?

No.

What's this about "heavenly stars" and "earthly stars?"

In the novel "All Men Are Brothers," 36 characters are more central to the story than the otheres, and are classified as "heavenly stars."  The remaining 72 protagonists are secondary in the rest of the story, and are referred to as "earthly stars."

In honor of those folks that helped out with the writing, playtesting, development, and promotion of the game, I will be offering the first 36 books exclusively to them.  Of course, if they don't want them, they will go on sale to the general public.  #37-108 are going to be generally available.

If you have a question about whether or not you count as a Heavenly Star, chances are that you do.

If you aren't someone who helped with the game's development, but you really want #17 or something, feel free to request it anyway.  You'll probably get it.  It's just that others will have priority.

Any questions should be sent to taogames@gmail.com  If you wish to pre-order, please PayPal money to that same address.  If you don't have access to PayPal, but want to pre-order, let me know and we'll work something out.

yrs--
--Ben

Larry L.

You got a deadline on those Heavenly Stars?

Tymen

Just pre-ordered. Looking forward to it.

Ben Lehman

Quote from: Larry Lade on July 28, 2005, 07:51:57 PM
You got a deadline on those Heavenly Stars?

August 10th-14th ish?

yrs--
--Ben

Rob Donoghue

Rob Donoghue
<B>Fate</B> -
www.faterpg.com

Ben Lehman

Well, how have I done after a week?

I am amazed at the number of pre-orders I've gotten.  Not quite amazed enough to do a second printing before GenCon, but close.

By my count, I've taken in 30 pre-orders.  That's $660 before PayPal fees, which is just about enough to cover my printing expenses (they'll be a little higher, but only because I can afford some nice bells and whistles now that I've got the cash on hand.)

I've taken orders from 7 countries: America, Finland, Canada, Israel, Portugal, France, and Norway.  I've had two requests for translation license.

The following numbers have been claimed: 4, 5, 7, 12, 13 (maybe), 16, 17, 18, 24, 55, 77, 101, 108.  Most people didn't claim a number, but most people want both the Chinese stamp and the English signature.

Thanks so much to all of you for your support of my printing and your interest in my game.

yrs--
--Ben

Per Fischer

You can  count UK in as well (and I'm actually Danish, so, hey, bonus!) :)

Cheers!

Per
Per
--------
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

GB Steve

I'll be preordering too, once I get home. The layout looks gorgeous.

Tymen

Quote from: Ben Lehman on August 03, 2005, 03:33:25 PM
The following numbers have been claimed: 4, 5, 7, 12, 13 (maybe), 16, 17, 18, 24, 55, 77, 101, 108.  Most people didn't claim a number, but most people want both the Chinese stamp and the English signature.

I'd like the Chinese stamp and the English signature as well, if you please.
Thanks, truly looking forward to it. As for #, I have no specific request.

Tymen VanDyk (The Canadian One from Ottawa)

Rob Donoghue

Yeah, stamp and sig for me as well, indifferent to number.

-Rob D.
Rob Donoghue
<B>Fate</B> -
www.faterpg.com

Ben Lehman

Guys -- Do not tell me your preferences here, in this thread, because I will surely forget them.

Also -- I have the proof in hand.  We're fussing with a couple of things (the color I chose for the cover is too dark) but damn, it's a book.  A pretty nice looking book, at that.

yrs--
--Ben

Rob Donoghue

Preferred method? For lo, I most certainly forgot to comment when I ordered.

-Rob D.
Rob Donoghue
<B>Fate</B> -
www.faterpg.com

Ben Lehman

preferred method is e-mail.

But, if all you want is both signatures and you don't care about the number, don't bother informing me.  That's essentially the default.

I'm really grooving on this proof.  Matt's layout is extraordinary, and it really is a nice bookish object.

yrs--
--Ben

Larry L.

Will these be autographed by the author, or will that have to be requested in person?

Ben Lehman

All pre-orders, unless specified otherwise in the order, will be number, signed, and stamped by yours truly (as it says above).  Also, they'll have some chinese characters and an english name from the novel All Men Are Brothers, which you will only get if you're a China geek like me.

If you want me to write a special message in the book, I'm happy to do so.  But you have to tell me what it is.  Of course, you may just get a special note anyway.

yrs--
--Ben