News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Scribus or OpenOffice - what to use???

Started by calutateo, July 27, 2005, 03:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calutateo

Dear all,

I would like to write a book. About 60 short chapters of 4-12 pages each. No graphics, just at the start of each chapter there will be a watermark.
I am familiar with Interleaf and Framemaker, however, I would prefer to use open source. OpenOffice would do, anyway, it is the only open source tool I know.
Would somebody recommend Scribus to write such a book?

Regards, Carsten

jdagna

I would do the writing in OpenOffice.  For the writing itself, you'll want something that's specialized as a word processor and something that you're familiar with.

You might consider Scribus for doing the layout work after you've got it written, but it sounds like your overall needs are pretty simple.  OpenOffice might do just fine for you.
Justin Dagna
President, Technicraft Design.  Creator, Pax Draconis
http://www.paxdraconis.com

Vaxalon

I'm working on several projects in OO and I'm very satisfied with it.  Don't get the beta version unless you're seriously into filing bug reports... it still does weird stuff from time to time.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

rrr

I use Open Office for all my home word processing.  It's a great package.  Aside from being free, one benefit it has over Word is the built in ability to export a document as a PDF.  Always handy if you're planning on making something available over the web.

Just remember that if you are sharing the actual word processing documents that OO's default file format is not readable by Word.  As a result many users will not be able to open them.  You can easily save as a MS Word .doc however.

Drew
My name is Drew
I live just outside north London, UK
Here's my 24hours Ronnies entry: Vendetta